PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox - BTDT?

KrisM
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
It looks like DS2 has chicken pox. He's 17 months. Got the first red bump on Monday night and has a couple dozen now. He does not seem bothered by them at all, which is great.

From what I've read, the rash increases for 2-4 days and then it's a healing process. Sound right?

No signs on DD or DS1, yet.

Any BTDT advice?

c&j04
12-23-2009, 04:31 PM
No BTDT with my own ;) but my little brother had them at approx that age. A few small spots that disappeared shortly and he was done! Our Dr said it was often easier on a child that age. Hope so for you!

jenandahalf
12-23-2009, 04:48 PM
The key to having it heal quicker is to make sure they don't scratch! The younger they are, the less they are inclined to do it so yes you are lucky!

g-mama
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes. My oldest and youngest ds's had them at the same time when they were 6 and 1. The younger one had a much easier time b/c he didn't scratch like the older one wanted to. He was definitely less irritated and the case was milder. They lasted about a week and it was not that bad.

niccig
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
My sisters and I had them. I remember Mum putting Calamine lotion on us, so we didn't scratch. Hope she's better soon.

calv
12-23-2009, 05:33 PM
the younger the better IMO. Get the aveeno oatmeal bath. works wonders!!

bubbaray
12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Have you been around someone who has or subquently came down with CP?

DD#1 was "diagnosed" with CP by her daycare provider nearly 2yr ago. Long story short, but it was NOT CP. It was folliculitis. The sores weren't itchy but hurt. She had other symptoms, which they initially thought were HSP.

I would actually get him diagnosed and go from there. There are many other things that can cause a rash....

HTH

KrisM
12-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Have you been around someone who has or subquently came down with CP?

DD#1 was "diagnosed" with CP by her daycare provider nearly 2yr ago. Long story short, but it was NOT CP. It was folliculitis. The sores weren't itchy but hurt. She had other symptoms, which they initially thought were HSP.

I would actually get him diagnosed and go from there. There are many other things that can cause a rash....

HTH

Yes, a boy at a playgroup a couple weeks ago ended up with chicken pox about 3 days after playgroup. He was diagnosed.

I am not sure I can get an appointment tomorrow, but I can try.

JBaxter
12-23-2009, 06:04 PM
BTDT... If they get really itchy then fill a old sock with oatmeal and tie it off put them in a warm bath and squeeze the oatmeal sock over them. Caladryl lotion helps My older 2 were older when they got them ( and HAD been vaccinated I may add :( ) Both got whopping cases. Motrin or tylonel and comfort food wasnt a big deal

Incubation can be up to 14- 16 days You should call first my ped had us come in the back door look at him said yup chicken pox and sent us home.

calv
12-23-2009, 06:29 PM
benadryl helps w/the itchiness too :D

JBaxter
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
If your older 2 get it get some calamine or caladryl lotion and let them paint it on each other. I put my oldest 2 on a sheet with a bowl and 2 paint brushes. It kept them busy painting each others spots

o_mom
12-23-2009, 07:39 PM
My BTDT advice is not to freak out on day 3-4 when the first ones are fully blistered and they now have spots all over. The ones that come on the first few days got the full blisters, but the ones that showed up later didn't even come to the full blister and some went away without ever crusting. I was just all freaked about the number of new spots (covered head to toe by then) along with seeing the worst of the first ones.... projecting out that he was going to be covered with these blisters was a bit of a shock. Thank goodness it started getting better before that.

Oatmeal baths - keeping the diaper area clean and dry are important. I think we gave one dose of Benadryl, but it really was a non-event for us (DS2 was 11 mos).