PDA

View Full Version : Considering a trip to Disneyland on a whim...any advice?

conniez
12-23-2009, 06:43 PM
DH mentioned that we should do something during DD's xmas break...so I said, "What about Disneyland?" Granted, we're on a budget....but I figured if my parents come, too, my dad could probably use his military discount on the hotel. I was wondering if xmas is a good time to go to Disneyland, and if not, when is the best time? Also, does anyone know of any deals on tickets, food, etc. or any resources that actually tell you how to get the most bang for your buck when it comes to all things D-Land? TIA

alexsmommy
12-23-2009, 07:02 PM
There are tons of Disney experts in the PLaces to Go: Disney forum. I'm sure they'll know all the tricks.

conniez
12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
There are tons of Disney experts in the PLaces to Go: Disney forum. I'm sure they'll know all the tricks.

Whoops! I should've known there would be a forum all for Disney! Guess I need to expand my world beyond The Lounge & the Bargain forum :ROTFLMAO:

hillview
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
We booked into the Howard Johnson's it was great for the price. We got tickets from citypass but we used them to go to the Zoo and Lego land. It saved about $30-50 pp
http://www.citypass.com/city/socal.html?id=PPUbP4Fk

Mousesavers has some good tips:
http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyland.html

Have fun!
/hillary

bubbaray
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Definitely the HoJo. Great experience there. I would totally go. I want to go for Christmas next year.

alexsmommy
12-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Whoops! I should've known there would be a forum all for Disney! Guess I need to expand my world beyond The Lounge & the Bargain forum :ROTFLMAO:

I know - I get so used to just posting everything here, I forget that there are other forums lol.

Kyras mom
12-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Check out the Disboards forum. I second the Hojo (one of the better econo hotels). Disneyland is beautiful at Christmas time. Do it.

kransden
12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
The crowds this time of year make me shudder!

AnnieW625
12-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I would honestly wait until after the holidays. We MIGHT take DD the Sunday after New Years (that's the last day it is decorated IIRC), but aren't 100% sure because I am afraid it still might be a bit crowded, but since schools start the next day we are hoping to avoid some crowds. We first took DD the third weekend in January for a day 2 yrs. ago and it was great. Another thing to remember is that if the Southern California pass (that's the one we have where you can go during the week, and on Sundays--so if Sundays are blocked out it's going to be packed! KWIM?) is blocked out it's most likely going to be peak times.

One thing with the HoJo ask for a room that doesn't face I-5. It's litterally 20 feet from the freeway. I think it would be loud.

MMMommy
12-25-2009, 12:10 AM
We used to always stay at the Grand Californian on the Disneyland property, which cost an arm and a leg. IMO, you are paying for the convenience and not the quality or size of the room. Even with a friend's employee discount, it was expensive and overpriced. Usually over $300 a night. Not worth it to us at all anymore.

Now when we go, we always stay at the Hyatt Orange County, which costs a fraction of the price of the Grand Californian. I highly recommend their Kids Suite, as it is spacious. It comes with a room with a king bed, one bathroom, and a room with bunk beds, small tv, and small kiddie table with chairs. Very spacious and actually much nicer and more comfortable than the small, standard room at the Grand Californian. The kids get their space, and we get ours. The Kids Suite also comes with a mini fridge and a microwave.

They also provide a free shuttle to and from Disneyland which runs literally every half hour.

I think over the summer, rates were as low as $124 per night for the Kids Suite during their Suites on Sale sale, which was a steal at the time. I recommend it for the quality and the price. Prices aren't normally as low as $124, as I've seen it at $139, $142, etc. Varies. I think Hyatt.com does have military and AAA discount rates too. Not dirt cheap, but compared to the Disneyland property hotels, a bargain.

Tondi G
12-25-2009, 04:05 PM
If you can wait till after new years you will have a better trip. The week between Xmas and New years is their busiest week of the all!!! It will mean SERIOUS crowds and LONG waits for rides... just not fun IMHO.

The Ho Jo is a good option as said before just ask for a room as far away from the 5 Fwy. I read on Trip Advisor that the newer Doubletree in Anaheim is supposed to be quite nice! If you decide to use the hotel shuttles just be aware that during this week they might be running every 15 to 30 minutes but there are a lot of people who will be lined up to use it and it could be a much longer wait.

Mousesavers has a lot of info on discounts etc. Costco in So Cal has 4 days of single park tickets for a decent price (I saw them there on the 23rd)... call ahead to make sure they have them in stock.

kransden
12-25-2009, 07:59 PM
We stay at Residence Inn because of free points. I like the kitchenette and the room. It has a nice breakfast included and is fairly quite. You also can walk up to the Cheese Cake Factory and the Garden Walk shopping area. San Sai is good fast Japanese-ish food there. The Embassy Suites is awesome for kids. It has a stuffed lion that roars, fantastic breakfast, evening snacks and a lackluster pool.

BTW, if you are flying there is a Target close by and you can get water and snacks for the kids there for the park. I know the parks says no food, but I have never had anyone bother me for granola bars etc.