PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for Santa gift disappointment...

SASM
12-23-2009, 08:27 PM
My 2 older kids are asking for gifts that I am just not ready to buy ~ expensive (Nintendo DS), too large (ride-on motorcycle x2), difficult to find (pogo stick??), dangerous (skateboard), alive (REAL penguin! :)), etc. I feel horrible, especially since some are reasonable but I just cannot buy them right now. How do you brace yourself for the disappointment? How do you explain things to your child? I have answers for the gifts that are not age-appropriate, too large, or unrealistic but I am struggling with the DS, especially since it is the main gift that he is asking for.

Any advice?

Twoboos
12-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I have said that Santa looks at the list and picks things that he thinks are appropriate and the parents approve of, and does not bring live animals of any kind (begging for puppy and kitty!). Also that the list is some ideas for Santa, you do not get ALL the gifts on the list.

Weird thing - just saw an ad for a pogo stick somewhere!!

SASM
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Weird thing - just saw an ad for a pogo stick somewhere!!

Are you serious? :) FUNNY!! I have NO IDEA where DD came up with "pogo stick" (ohhhhh...maybe Micky Mouse Clubhouse??), but she has been fixated on it over the last week and, sadly, it made it onto the official list. It went on my "unsafe" list but I was scratching my head trying to think where in the world I'd be able to find one locally if I DID want to get one for her.

jenandahalf
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
It's hard but maybe you can explain that the DS was too much of a gift for Christnas since Santa has to also give the siblings gifts too. Is there any way you will be able to do the DS for a birthday instead? I'm one of 6 kids so we always got small stuff for Christmas and the bigger gifts for birthdays.

SASM
12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
It's hard but maybe you can explain that the DS was too much of a gift for Christnas since Santa has to also give the siblings gifts too. Is there any way you will be able to do the DS for a birthday instead? I'm one of 6 kids so we always got small stuff for Christmas and the bigger gifts for birthdays.

Ohhh...so do you reason that Santa has a budget so to speak per family? We always just explain that he gives each child 3 gifts (3 wisemen gifts) and stocking stuffers per child. Birthday is a possibility.

jenandahalf
12-23-2009, 08:56 PM
We try to reign in my daughter's expectations of what Santa will bring by explaining that he has a lot of kids out there to give gifts to and sometimes he can't get everything on the list. Even if we could get everything she wanted, I don't think we would because we are very wary of making sure she doesn't grow up thinking she will always get everything she wants. Ok and she did ask for a toy that doesn't actually exist this year!

Maybe you could expand on the 3 gift thing by saying that Santa wouldn't have been able to give the 2 other gifts if one had been a DS, assuming there were two other really wanted gifts this year of course!

Thatchermom
12-23-2009, 09:13 PM
There has always been plenty on DS's list that he did not receive, and there will be again this year. Most of DS's list this year was fanciful and not actual items that could be gotten. (A real magic treehouse, the ability to fly) I don't remember a single year - including the year we were out of work and really didn't buy much at all - that DS was actually disappointed on the day. It all seems good and magical and satisfying when added all together. And frankly, we are often far more creative at gift buying than he would ever be making lists.

DS is getting the pogo stick (our version of the ability to fly!). We bought it online from toysrus on Black Friday. I do think they carry them in the stores as well.

stillplayswithbarbies
12-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I've always told my kids that Santa sends a bill to the parents, so he can't bring anything that the parents can't afford or that they don't approve of.

That also explains why some kids don't get as many things, or anything at all, from Santa and we help out by donating to Toys for Tots etc.

LMPC
12-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I think reframing this as a very positive learning experience will help. We don't always get want we want, and it's important to appreciate the items we *do* get. Secondly, don't forget to remind yourself that you have bought some very thoughtful and nice gifts for your kids....if you think they are great, it will help them think that as well. Disappointment is contagious!

SASM
12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I've always told my kids that Santa sends a bill to the parents, so he can't bring anything that the parents can't afford or that they don't approve of.

That also explains why some kids don't get as many things, or anything at all, from Santa and we help out by donating to Toys for Tots etc.

Ohhhhh...that is an INTERESTING spin! Congrats on your newest addition...have a merry holiday with your new family! :)

SASM
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I think reframing this as a very positive learning experience will help. We don't always get want we want, and it's important to appreciate the items we *do* get. Secondly, don't forget to remind yourself that you have bought some very thoughtful and nice gifts for your kids....if you think they are great, it will help them think that as well. Disappointment is contagious!

VERY well put! Thank you!

Pennylane
12-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Just in case you want to get one, Toys R Us had a great selection of Pogp Sticks!

Ann

JBaxter
12-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Just in case you want to get one, Toys R Us had a great selection of Pogp Sticks!

Ann

Thats what I was going to say...

LMPC
12-23-2009, 10:18 PM
VERY well put! Thank you!

You are welcome -- now go and relax and have a wonderful awesome fun Christmas!!! :cheerleader1:

SASM
12-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Ann

Strangely enough, I somehow live in a town w/o a TRU. :( VERY good to know, though. DD's b-day is in Feb... I haven't seen a pogo in AGES!!

AmyZ
12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Funny, I just got pogo sticks for my neice and nephew - around $25 each at Amazon.

maestramommy
12-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Are you serious? :) FUNNY!! I have NO IDEA where DD came up with "pogo stick" (ohhhhh...maybe Micky Mouse Clubhouse??), but she has been fixated on it over the last week and, sadly, it made it onto the official list. It went on my "unsafe" list but I was scratching my head trying to think where in the world I'd be able to find one locally if I DID want to get one for her.

I know I've seen a pogo stick in the Heartsong catalog at this time of year.

khm
12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Pogos are apparently hot right now. I see them all over our neighborhood!