PDA

View Full Version : Vegans and Breastfeeding?

MamaMolly
12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Just a random curiosity that went through my head today. (and of course I know you can't group all vegans as having the same preferences/beliefs, nor do they all make the same food choices) but that said, I was wondering if *in general* vegans prefer to breast feed or not?

I know. I'm weird.

alirebco
12-23-2009, 10:42 PM
All of the vegans I know not only breastfeed but do so until at least 2.

citymama
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
The vegans I know were extended breastfeeders! I know there was one horrible case of some crazy vegan couple in NY that fed their NB baby soy milk (not formula) and the kid was very emaciated and underdeveloped. But other than that, I have never heard of vegans refusing to BF on principle.

kijip
12-24-2009, 12:21 AM
All the vegan moms I know planned to exclusively breastfeed. For one, it did not work out and she opted to do a regular, non soy baby formula because she did not want to put her child at risk for a soy allergy (babies who are on soy formula are more likely to react to soy later in life) and because she saw that milk based formula was the next best option after her breastmilk. All the others have been successful with bf. Though I did know one, vegan for years and years including all through her first pregnancy and lactation period who woke up during her second pregnancy and went out to buy beef. She does not eat a lot of meat but she does have it sparingly now, so she is no longer a vegetarian or vegan.

dotgirl
12-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Though I did know one, vegan for years and years including all through her first pregnancy and lactation period who woke up during her second pregnancy and went out to buy beef. She does not eat a lot of meat but she does have it sparingly now, so she is no longer a vegetarian or vegan.

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 7 years before I got pregnant with DD, and about 4 months into it, I *had* to eat a ham sandwich - it was the most overwhelming craving I've ever had. It was weird.

16 years later, I'm what my husband calls "90% vegetarian" - the rest of my family eats meat probably once a day - I eat it maybe once a week. Can't totally give it up, but grosses me out to eat it too often.

AnnieW625
12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I know a very strict ovo lacto vegetarian who prior to DD eating solids was pretty much a Vegan and she has breast fed her DD1 until she was 2, and also breast fed DD2 until right before 2, and is now pregnant with #3 and will most likely breast feed until 2 with this one. In short I think it's really common for Vegans/Veggies to breast feed longer.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm a Lacto Ovo Veg, and I EBF'd for 2 years. All Veggies/Vegans in know EBF. In one circle of hippie mama's here 5 seems to be the end point.