PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive spare carseat for Grandma's car?

ang79
12-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Now that I know we have our two carseats installed correctly and securely in my car with the LATCH system (had a local police officer that was car seat certified do it) I really don't want to take them back out because 1. disabeling the LATCH system is a PITA and 2. I'm a bit worried about getting them re-installed correctly again (I had a very hard time getting them tight enough). Sometimes my parents or in-laws keep my older DD for a few days, and they like to have a carseat in case they go out to eat, shopping, etc. And I imagine they will eventually start watching DD2 more now that she is no longer nursing. I think I'd like to get a spare seat (one for now, probably a second one later when they start watching DD2 more) that grandparents can use. I found a pink Cosco Scenera Convertible at Overstock.com for $40 ($36 w/ coupon and I think I can also get bing cashback, so more like $32), is this a good spare seat? DD1 is 3, about 32 lbs. (not sure about her current height, will have to measure her). It says its good up to 40lbs. so it should work for DD1 for awhile and then DD2 can use it when I need to get a bigger one for DD1, right?

If anyone has one of these, is it pretty easy to install using seatbelts? Likes/dislikes? Other suggestions for an inexpensive seat or best place to get one?

mom2binsd
12-24-2009, 03:33 AM
That seat can be a PITA to install with seatbelts and your DD1 wouldn't get much use out of it as she could outgrow it by height pretty soon...it sound like maybe a Graco Nautilus might be a better bet as it is a good 5pt harness seat that you can use as a booster later on, about age 5 or 6, watch for a sale, sounds like you've got all the bargain instincts.

With respect to your other seat (which seat is it?) you should really practice installing it yourself, I know after a few tries I am able to get my Marathon installed in about 2 min (latch and top tether), and can get it super tight. If you let us know what seat you have and what vehicle you drive we can probably give you some hints to ease the install.When you say disabling the latch system do you mean just unhooking it...it shouldn't be that tricky unless your latch connectors are really deep back in the seat.

KrisM
12-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I agree. The Scenara is an okay seat, but it'll get outgrown by height first.

It used to take me quite a while to install car seats. Now, I can get 3 of them in my car in less than 10 minutes. Practice, practice, practice!

Installing the Scenara FF with seatbelts isn't too bad, but takes some practice to get it tight, IME.

ang79
12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
DD1 is in a Graco Nautilus, which isn't so bad to install. DD2 is in a Graco Comfort Sport and that was the one that I had a horrible time installing rearfacing in our Ford Taurus, just couldn't get it tight enough. I do not like uninstalling them from our LATCH system because once I get the seat tight enough its hard to get the LATCH buckles unlatched again. It probably is something that just takes practice, but now that I know they are in there securely I'm hesitant to take them back out, then have to wrestle with them again :( I just thought it would be helpful to have a spare seat for occasional use.

So at what height is the Scenera usually outgrown by?

KrisM
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
When you undo the LATCH, can you loosed the belt before trying to unhook the hooks? I don't have either of those seats, but in my Radian and Boulevard, I can loosed the LATCH belt, which makes it much easier to get the seat out.

DS1 outgrew the Scenara right around 40". I don't remember exactly, but he had just turned 4 and I'm pretty sure he was 40" at his 4 year.