PDA

View Full Version : I am in so much trouble ....

Toba
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
My sister very generously offered to come over this past Monday while DS was in school and help me wrap presents. Well, we got a huge snowstorm and DS's school has been closed all week. He's always had a pretty late bedtime and is very hard to fool (for instance, you stay downstairs doing XYZ, so I can clean up the upstairs (really meaning wrapping presents and he'd be up and down the stairs 80 times)). So I have NO presents wrapped (and there's quite a lot because I always go way overboard for Christmas, even though I promise myself every year that I won't). No one to watch him. DH is coming home early today and we're hoping between the two of us, we can get him to stay downstairs (where his playroom is located) so that we can wrap together. Oh, and did I mention that we still have two trees to decorate still (one is a really small one that is in DS's room, so should take no time at all). We've just had so much going on ... medical crisis, family crisis, no school (so no free time). I'm just feeling SO overwhelmed. Do you think it would be horrible if I put the amazon.com and target.com boxes under the tree unwrapped? LOL .... I'm only half kidding.

ETA: Oh, and did I mention that I have the world's worst sinus infection?

amandabea
12-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Take solace in knowing you're not alone. Ok, I know that doesn't help much, but we've had an undecorated tree up all this time. It has lights, so DD thinks it's beautiful. I have presents to assemble and many to wrap, grocery shopping to do for the items I'm taking to Christmas dinner, cleaning for my parent's arrival at noon, and an almost 3 yo DD who is home for the day and following or bellowing for me all day. And this is why I vow to stop procrastinating every new year.

bluestar2
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm just feeling SO overwhelmed. Do you think it would be horrible if I put the amazon.com and target.com boxes under the tree unwrapped? LOL .... I'm only half kidding.

ETA: Oh, and did I mention that I have the world's worst sinus infection?

I hope you are feeling better soon!

nrp
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
If any of them are from Santa, can you adopt the unwrapped approach for Santa gifts? My family always wrapped Santa gifts growing up, but DH's family didn't. And I am happily adopting DH's tradition on this one!

SnuggleBuggles
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Adopt my parents' tradition that all gifts are for Santa and all gifts go in a big garbage bag tied with pretty ribbon. Might seem trashy but it worked well for us and I thoroughly enjoyed digging into my bag. :)

Beth

momof2girls
12-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Don't worry about it. I remember one year my parents took out a large Santa sack with all of out unwrapped presents and just handed them out to me and my siblings. I will admit we were a bit disappointed at the time, but got over it very quickly once we started playing with all the toys.

AbbysMom
12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Santa does not wrap gifts at my house and didn't when I was a kid. We waited at the bottom of the stairs and ran into the room towards our pile (I am 1 of 4 kids). We were never disappointed. We just got right to sorting through the piles of toys and playing. We'd eat breakfast and then open gifts. So I say no wrap for Santa gifts!

But I am sorry that you are overwhelmed. Hope you get everything done that you need to and keep some holiday cheer :)

carolinamama
SO NOT ALONE. I am in trouble too. Haven't wrapped a thing. I will be up all night tonight getting it done, but I am trying to tell myself that it will happen. Plus I am hosting my family tonight and I'm sure they will wander over in the morning too. I'm not ready, but I figure it will be here whether I am or not. This is so not like me.

I know my DS wouldn't care how things are wrapped as long as he got the toys. I'm sure boxes with a bow would be just fine.

writermama
A few ideas:

Gift bags (we have piles of them that have been given to us over the years that we re-use).

Crumple a sheet of tissue paper around a gift, tie with curling ribbon or string. Perhaps use the same approach with a big piece of fabric around several gifts, or even extra pillow cases?

The Santa doesn't wrap approach.

Oh, and I love the big "sack of toys from Santa" idea of a PP.

But most of all, do whatever you need to do to take care of your sinus infection so you can enjoy the day.

Thatchermom
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I usually wrap ahead of time but was way behind this year, too. I did all of it last night - after DD finally fell asleep at midnight! Thankfully I have serious night-owl genes in my family. I must say, however, that the last few may ruin the elves' reputation as good workers...boy they're ugly!

mommy111
12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I remember a Christmas when Santa was late and left me just a bag of lollipops with a taped note in lined paper (fripped from my mother's appointment book). I was still thrilled :)
I think the decorations are more important to us than the kids. The kids would be just as happy opening an amazon box, imo

Ceepa
12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
You can do it! Christmas Eve wrapping is a tradition in my whole family. It gets to be a grind after a while but just treat it like cramming for an exam. Push through 'til morning!

Melaine
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I think it would be fun for kids to have a bunch of small gifts in a big wrapped box. You could wrap each little thing in tissue paper then stick it all in the biggest box and wrap that.

tropicalmom
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Love this idea!!

Adopt my parents' tradition that all gifts are for Santa and all gifts go in a big garbage bag tied with pretty ribbon. Might seem trashy but it worked well for us and I thoroughly enjoyed digging into my bag. :)

Beth