PDA

View Full Version : Well, this is going to make for a great Christmas

Aishe
12-24-2009, 11:39 PM
I just found out that the chicken my MIL served tonight had been sitting out all.day.long. As in, since 7 am. And I didn't even wait for it to fully reheat because I was in a rush to get ds to bed. I didn't have very much - less than a drumstick. Does anyone want to offer words of reassurance? Or am I doomed? I'm drinking a beer right now in the hopes that the alcohol will kill some of the nasty bacteria. I don't have access to any yogurt or probiotics right now. Arrgh. Merry Christmas to you too, MIL.

elephantmeg
12-25-2009, 10:52 AM
oh no! Hope you are feeling OK today!

viba424
12-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, please give us an update. Ugh. Hope youre feeling okay.

nov04
12-25-2009, 01:23 PM
oh dear!!!!! I'm so sorry. Hope you don't all get sick.

LexyLou
12-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Was it sitting out raw or had it been cooked already?

okinawama
12-25-2009, 01:32 PM
My MIL still thaws things out at room temperature, which means chicken, turkey, beef sit out at room temp all day. I've been eating with their family for 10 Christmas's and MANY other meals and I have never been sick.

I still can't believe she does it that way, and I will never do it that way, but so far so good here. I hope you have a healthy holiday!

BabyMine
12-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I hope the beer works. ;)

Penny's Pappa
12-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Since you said "reheat" I'm going to assume that the chicken was fully cooked, so I'd say that you're going to be fine. It'd be a different story if it were raw.

As for the beer, it probably tastes good but it isn't going to do anything to kill bacteria. The alcohol content is just WAY too low (typically ~5%). You'll need to start doing some shots of 151!

Aishe
12-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm still alive! It's been over 12 hours so I'm hoping I'm out of the woods. And yes, the meat had been cooked. I'm choosing to believe that the beer helped:-) Hope everyone is having a food poisoning-free Christmas!