PDA

View Full Version : Nursing cover question

viba424
12-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Ive decided to purchase a nursing cover. Im very modest and think I would really like one for when the baby comes in January. I am getting unnecessarily hung up on picking a pattern and wondered what you thought.

Im considering getting a Bebe au Lait cover in ivory eyelet ($33) or an Amy Butler dot print from a seller on etsy ($25).

Part of me wants to get the ivory eyelet becuase it doesnt scream "look at me, Im nursing" and it probably looks pretty nice in person. But it costs almost $10 more than the Etsy one, which is appealing because its fun and cheerful. However what if I hate the concept alltogether? I can at least return the bebe au lait one. Which would you get?

Momof3Labs
12-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Either one will scream "I'm nursing" - that's what nursing covers do (but they also do cover you up, so do serve a purpose). Go with the one that you can return, IMO (I never used a nursing cover).

rgors
12-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I have the ivory eyelet. I actually think it is quite discreet and does not announce that I am nursing. I have had many conversations with men who were none the wiser, especially if you are sitting down -- then it seems like just a shawl or a blanket on a sleeping baby (as long as your nursing child is fairly quiet). Men are not very observant. :) I just attended a wedding and had conversations with everyone from my 15yo cousin to my 80yo uncle and there was only one man who gave me any indication that he realized what I was doing (my 40-something cousin).

I prefer the bebe au lait. I also have an etsy one. The etsy one is very light. An advantage is that it is "breathable." I personally however think of it as TOO light, almost flimsy. It constantly gets tangled up because there is not enough weight to hold it in place when draped. The bebe au lait is lined on the inside. This gives it a little weight (not too much though) and for me, that helps it to hang in place more easily.

The "hoop" in the neck also stands out better on my bebe au lait one.

That's just my personal experience. YMMV.

doberbrat
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm also o fthe opinion that any sort of cover, shawl or blanket screams "I'm Nursing!"

I'd get the returnable one personally.

fwiw, I'm a modest person and dont use a cover after the first month or so. for the first mo, its hard to get a teeny baby w/no head control latched on easily. so its way less discreet.

Once they're bigger, I just lift my shirt and stick baby's head there and its quite discreet. a bit of belly flab showing maybe, but no boob.

viba424
01-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I ended up getting the ivory eyelet on amazon...it just happened to be marked down by $10 when I checked yesterday. Probably not a totally necessary item , but I want to make sure I can feel comfortable should I need to BF in public in the future. Thanks for mentioning the difference between those and the homemade kinds, that was really helpful!

misshollygolightly
01-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I LOVED my bebe au lait cover (I have the black eyelet one) and used it a LOT. I'm not excessively modest, but I found it made NIP so much easier, *and* I used it a lot at home when we had people over (father-in-law visiting, friends over for dinner, etc.). For those first 3 months, if you're constantly excusing yourself from the room to go nurse, it's really hard to keep up with the conversation. And even though I could have stayed in the same room to nurse w/out a cover, having a good nursing cover made it much less awkward for both me and for father-in-law. Hope you get as much use out of it as I did!

JBaxter
01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Ive never had a baby that would allow one on their head. Good luck. I did better with the nursing shirts/tanks in being discreet/

brittone2
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Ive never had a baby that would allow one on their head. Good luck. I did better with the nursing shirts/tanks in being discreet/

:yeahthat:

Mine always smacked any blanket/cover off in a heartbeat. I love nursing tanks.

newg
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I have one and really enjoyed using it.............I nursed in quite a few public places the first year (flower show, airport) and at the IL's........and I really liked that if DD took a break while nursing I was still totally covered and didn't have to worry about anything showing......or if she flung a arm the cover didn't come off because it was around my neck..............
I think you'll really like it!!

viba424
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. My ivory eyelet cover came yesterday and its really nice and has a substantial feel to it. Hope DD likes it.

athompson
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I think if you start using it from the beginning she'll be fine with it. I did not know about nursing covers with my first, but found them very necessary with my second and third daughters. I could follow the older ones around a park or something (if necessary) while nursing. I had a cotton cover that was poncho style and also used it as a blanket. Both of my younger girls loved it until about 6-8 months when they were more interested in what was going on around them rather than nursing. I'm very modest as well and nursing tanks never worked for me. It's not the nursing so much that I want to cover just the direct breast shot which if the child stops nursing for a second with a nursing tank happens. Hope she likes it!
This is the nursing cover I have:
http://busybabywraps.com/

hobie
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I never had one/used one. My twins were NICU babies, so we learnd to nurse with all kinds of nurses around, and covering up was not a good idea, because of all the tubes/wires. That got me over my modesty very quickly! A cardigan + nursing tank is a great nursing outfit...nothing extra gets exposed. Nursing in a ring sling also works great, since you can use th tail to cover up, if you really need to.

twowhat?
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I used Aden & Anais muslin swaddling blankets as nursing covers. They are huge (covered both twins when small), VERY breathable, and while they let light through, they are NOT see-through.