PDA

View Full Version : Britax Roundabout 50

JPattison4181
12-25-2009, 04:43 PM
My wife and I just purchased a Britax Roundabout 50 for our 16 month old daughter. When trying to install in the back center position, rear facing, i noticed that the LATCH teathers were WAY too short to get a secure, tight, and snug fit. Has anyone else experienced this issue when installing their car seat?? Please let me know as soon as pssible...

-J

Joolsplus2
12-25-2009, 05:37 PM
What car are you installing in? *Most* cars prohibit center LATCH installs, and Britax LATCH is only long enough to work with a standard-distance, approved position. You can either install it outboard with LATCH, or center with seatbelt.

JPattison4181
12-25-2009, 09:14 PM
We are trying to install it in an 05 Acura MDX. Even on an outboard position with the seat in full recline the front passenger seat would have to be so far forward that no one would be able to sit there. I think we just might be out of luck and have to exchange it for another model.

o_mom
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
We are trying to install it in an 05 Acura MDX. Even on an outboard position with the seat in full recline the front passenger seat would have to be so far forward that no one would be able to sit there. I think we just might be out of luck and have to exchange it for another model.

You don't need to have the seat fully reclined for a 16 mo. It can be as upright as 30 degrees (vertical is 0 degrees, full newborn recline is 45 deg). The "level to ground" line on the side is for the newborn recline. The seat must be in the reclined position with respect to the base, just pull the lever on the base, but then set it on the seat and press down at the front of the seat (where the baby's feet are) and tighten. It should go in at a reasonable angle. Also, it can be lightly touching the front seat, just not pressing against it.

No center LATCH in that car, as Julie said, so you would have to use a seatbelt in the center.

One last thought... double check that you have the LATCH strap in the correct beltpath - the one towards the front of the seat (again, by the child's feet).

nerlmag
12-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Trying to install in 04 Honda CRV. When trying to tighten the teather (so it has no slack) the angle of the seat is no longer at 45 or even 30. By the time the teather is tight we are straight up and down. Suggestions?

o_mom
12-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Trying to install in 04 Honda CRV. When trying to tighten the teather (so it has no slack) the angle of the seat is no longer at 45 or even 30. By the time the teather is tight we are straight up and down. Suggestions?

Are you tethering toward the front of the vehicle (swedish style)? That is usually easier and doesn't change the angle much at all.

nerlmag
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
checked the owner's manual and don't see front anchors listed just the ones in the rear

mom2binsd
12-26-2009, 03:17 PM
When you are tethering a car seat installed Rear facing, only Britax and Sunshine Kids allows for rearfaing tethering, and it's not a universally known concept. There will not be marked tether anchors in the car manual, but you can use any non moveable part that is anchored to the floor. Usually folks can find a seatbelt stalk to wrap the D-ring around and then attach the anchor. You might need to pry a piece of plastic covering off the part to slide the D-ring around.

A youtube search of Britax rearfacing tether will bring up some good video's.

jjordan
12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Here (http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html) is a good link for info about rearfacing tethering. The site is a bit old so check any specifics against your carseat manual.

Also when you tighten the tether strap, it doesn't have to be as tight as you can get it, you just want to get it to the point where there is no slack in the strap.