PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

czekit7
12-25-2009, 05:45 PM
OK, I'm due any minute now, and need to get a first aid kit set up. You know...thermometer, "sucker"/aspirator (other than the one you get at the hospital), medications, nail clippers...etc. Does anyone suggest a particular brand? I have Walmart, Target and BRU available to me right now. Also, what medications did you have ready for the baby...I still have money available on my flex-spending acct thru work, and figure that "medications" (Tylenol, Motrin, Mylicon, etc) will be reimbursed thru the flex-spending, so what should I get?? (I'm a little bit of a procrastinator..ahh!! Just so lazy this month!!!)

I really appreciate any suggestions! Oh, are there other "toiletry" items that I should look in to?? Hair brush (suggest some)? Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Jenn

o_mom
12-25-2009, 05:51 PM
OK, I'm due any minute now, and need to get a first aid kit set up. You know...thermometer, "sucker"/aspirator (other than the one you get at the hospital), medications, nail clippers...etc. Does anyone suggest a particular brand? I have Walmart, Target and BRU available to me right now. Also, what medications did you have ready for the baby...I still have money available on my flex-spending acct thru work, and figure that "medications" (Tylenol, Motrin, Mylicon, etc) will be reimbursed thru the flex-spending, so what should I get?? (I'm a little bit of a procrastinator..ahh!! Just so lazy this month!!!)

I really appreciate any suggestions! Oh, are there other "toiletry" items that I should look in to?? Hair brush (suggest some)? Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Jenn

I would just get one bottle each of infant Tylenol and Motrin (store brands are fine). You can't usually use Motrin until 6 months old, so make sure it has a long expiration date. Other than that, diaper cream of some sort, baby wash and lotion. Buy small bottles of those since you don't know if the baby will react to anything and you don't want to get stuck with a bunch if it doesn't work for you.

We just got a soft 'baby' hairbrush and comb set, but I had three nearly bald babies so they were barely used. That's one I wouldn't spend much on or worry about too much about what brand until you know what you need.

Most doctors want a rectal temp on little ones, so a themometer that works for that. I like BD brand, just avoid 'quick read' since those are only good for oral (the 'quick' part, but it's a pain to override that).

MamaMolly
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
IME the aspirator you get at the hospital sucks better than the ones you buy. I'd just go with that one.
For a thermometer I'd get a digital rectal one for a newborn, then a temporal artery one for when baby is older. If you can a thermometer with a back light. Very helpful at night.
I like the really small, plain nail clippers. My sister has the cute bumble bee ones and then plastic gets in the way of seeing what you are doing.
I'd also get a soft baby brush. They sell them at BRU or the grocery even. Great for smoothing hair or brushing away cradle cap.
Medications I'd have on hand would be Tylenol drops. Motrin isn't for until they are over 6 months, so I wouldn't bother. Mylecon for gas. Aquaphor for diaper areas is nice, as is Lanisoh for skin and your boobs if you plan to breast feed.

elephantmeg
12-25-2009, 11:32 PM
here's my list
tylenol (and I think that everyone should have 2 bottles)
motrin by the time the baby is 6 months old
dosing syringes/droppers
mylicon
aquaphor for cheeks/minor diaper rash
bordeaux but paste for worse diaper rash
zinc oxide for worse diaper rash (some kids respond better to one or the other-DS was a bordeaux kid, DD does better with zinc oxide (desitin)
nail clippers
I bought the little kits that had comb/brush/clipper etc. It was nice to have all the peices and handy for travelling
mylicon
rectal thermometer
alcohol wipes (in the diabetes care aisle) for the umbilical stump
vasaline for the rectal thermometer and for circ care if you are having a boy and circing
a temporal thermometer or an ear thermometer for when they get older and you don't have to do rectal temps anymore
gylcerine suppositories for constipation are a maybe-I never used many but it was nice to have once or twice when my kids were backed up bad and miserable
benadryl liquid is something you might want to have on hand before you start solids
pedialyte or liquilyte powder to reconsitute just in case of a stomach virus. Although I still have what I bought for DS and still haven't used it!