PDA

View Full Version : I hate that no one gives gift receipts

DebbieJ
12-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Then I feel totally ungrateful asking for receipts to return/exchange stuff. Both my stepmom and my MIL bought clothes for DS2 that just won't work (sizing, fabrics, etc).

We did Christmas with my dad and stepmom on Dec 12. My sister was driving out to their house to get the receipt for something they gave her daughter so she could exchange it for a different color, so she asked for the receipts for the clothes they bought my DS as well. Then I got an email from stepmom that "if she would have known...." and she didn't know what else to buy him. She never asked!!!

Now today we opened gifts from my MIL (who is out of state). She bought DS2 a Baby's First Christmas outfit. That is nice, but now Christmas is over for us! We've done all our Christmas parties so there is no reason to wear this outfit anymore. She also bought pajamas (which he doesn't need) and three shirts, but no pants (totally useless to me--everything is outfits--he has no pants that will match). If I call her and ask for receipts she will be offended so now we are stuck. I don't know of any store that will do returns without a receipt anymore. It looks like these three things came from Target, so who knows if they'll take them back. She usually sends a check for DH and I, but there was nothing for us this year.

I know I sound ungrateful but this is the Bitching Post after all. It just really soured my day because now DS2 gets nothing from his grandma. I know he's only 3 months, but he still deserves something.

viba424
12-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Holiday specific clothes? Forget it! You know without that receipt they will probably give you fifty cents for that christmas outfit - that is if you can figure out where its from.

jenandahalf
12-25-2009, 08:08 PM
If you know she will be offended just leave it, honestly it is not worth it. Your kids got gifts, they just weren't usable. That is going to happen a lot, it's easier to just get on with it. So he has more pyjamas than he needs now and 3 shirts that didn't come with matching pants, and one outfit that he could only wear once. It's not like she sent him a girls dress!

My parents didn't even send an e-card for my daughter, never mind an actual card, a phone call or imagine, an actual gift.

Ugh just realised I turned this into my own bitch. You are perfectly entitled to be mad that they didn't give more thought to their gift choices. Shame they couldn't have asked what might actually be useful if they weren't going to give you the option of returning, esp since she's already had others wanting to return stuff she's given.

Momof3Labs
12-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Amazon wish lists. Seriously, even for Little D. Had we not gone that route, we would have gotten piles of clothes for the girls, which we don't need (SIL has passed down a ton of stuff to us). Instead, we got a Superyard XT plus extensions, a Marpac sound machine, and some other nice things that we're actually glad to have around the house.

niccig
12-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Debbie - my MIL leaves the tag on with price and gives receipt for everything. I understand clothes, but the $1 colouring book that is in his stocking :confused: so she errs on side of caution.

Amazon wish lists. Seriously, even for Little D. Had we not gone that route, we would have gotten piles of clothes for the girls, which we don't need (SIL has passed down a ton of stuff to us). Instead, we got a Superyard XT plus extensions, a Marpac sound machine, and some other nice things that we're actually glad to have around the house.

I'm doing this next year too. My family do ask, but then something gets messed up. Eg. I emailed my mum a list with link to sticky mosaics for VEHICLES. My Mum bought 3 sets - one fish, one mermaid and one enchanted fairies FOR DS. I regifted the mermaid and fairies to girls and bought DS replacements that he will actually do. So next year, I'm doing up a wish list and I'm being VERY particular about interests. They don't have to buy what's on the list, but it might help with knowing what he does and does not like.

Melanie
12-26-2009, 04:24 AM
I love www.wishlist.com (http://www.wishlist.com). We use it for all of us. Of course I always stress it's for 'ideas' and you're welcome to buy whatever from wherever, but it totally helps.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, though. I'd just put the items in a consigment sale, donate, or sell at a consignment store and forget about it. They meant well.