PDA

View Full Version : Musical toy for 18mo?

MommyofAmaya
12-26-2009, 10:56 PM
We already have lots of musical toys but ds has some xmas money to spend and he LOVES to make/listen/dance to music.

What we have:
Mozart music cube
M&D Band
Plan toys xylophone
Neurosmith big block-nursery rhymes
Crayola color me a song- I haven't unboxed this yet. I think he is still too young, but he keeps pushing the buttons and dancing along with the music.

We just retired:
Neurosmith music blocks- the older model with cartridges and it just fizzled out. I'm thinking about getting the new model.
Leapfrog learn around playground
Leapfrog learn and groove table

Is there anything left that we might be missing?

Charlie
12-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Maybe a Remo drum? I have seen posts on here recommending them and DS recently played with one at a music class and really liked it.

Charlie
12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Or maybe a harmonica? It took DS awhile to get the hang of it but once he did, he really enjoyed it.

MommyofAmaya
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll check out the Remo drum.... he just got a harmonica in his stocking and it is the #1 hit (see my post in hits or misses) ;) Thanks!

kristac
12-26-2009, 11:11 PM
What about an MP3 player? We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Made-MP3-Music-Player/dp/B000YOPKTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1261883432&sr=1-1 but I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

deannanb
12-26-2009, 11:26 PM
egg shakers
rhythm sticks (love to use with drums)

while not a musical instrument - how about some play silks?
we love to throw them up in the air and watch them fall while listening to music

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Remo drum, no doubt!!

Beth

zag95
12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
We just got the Parents Kitty Keyboard- it has a microphone so kids can sing along and record their voices!

Lots of beats, songs that you can list to, play with, different tempos, etc. Pretty fun- I'm thinking about a road trip to the coast in the car (1.5 hrs of driving) and it'll be great for that!

Jenn27
12-28-2009, 10:01 AM
DD (13 months) loves her harmonica, Schoenhut piano, recorder, maracas, tamborine, and xylophone. She also loves Daddy's guitars but they are only played with during 'daddy time'! I would get a drum for sure. We have a toddler djembae and DD loves beating it with a wooden spoon!

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2009, 10:31 AM
We bought a bunch of random instruments from West Music.com. Love them! How about a guiro or a tambourine? My DS looooved his plastic fish guiro at that stage. I need to move the couch and find the stick. We just got a ukulele this week and he's in heaven with it.

Question about the two LeapFrog tables... did you think it was good or overkill to have both? We have the playground in the main room, but I picked up a learn n groove for $19 also. Can't decide if we should keep it or gift it. We also have one for the yard, and we pull it out for outdoor playdates with younger siblings.

MommyofAmaya
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. We have a tambourine and a keyboard (love that kitty one, but ours has a mic too).

Watchingthemgrow: I saw another one of your posts re: West Music and have signed up for their newsletter. So many possibilities.

As for the tables, I would gift it since they seve the same purpose... unless you have a huge house. I preferred the music on the playground and it was taller, so we retired the learn n' groove first.

MommyofAmaya
01-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Just bought our Remo Drum. $34.99 at Amazon seemed like a good deal with Prime. Also picked up the Discovery Kids Mp3 player at CVS for $14.99 (50% off). DS loves it and it is perfect for his age group. I feel that was $50 well spent. Thanks for your recommendations.