PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn grey hair - tips?

L'sMommy
12-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I have jet black hair and have dyed my hair twice because I seem to have more strands of grey at my temples. Both times the dye lasted for 2-3 weeks and the grey showed up again. I can't dye my hair every 3 weeks (too much upkeep). The first time I tried Perfect 10 (forget the brand, maybe Loreal or Clairol). The second time I tried Revlon. Any tips/suggestions? Do I leave the dye in my hair for a longer period than recommended on the instructions?

deannanb
12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Your hair is growing out - Just like your fingernails grow and you have to trim them
you may have to color your hair every few weeks if you want to keep the grey covered.

hellokitty
12-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Subbing, b/c I too have jet black hair, but I am afraid to dye, b/c I don't think it will last long enough either. I have weird hair. Perms never seem to stay in it very long either, even if they use 2 pks.

Twoboos
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I have dark black hair too, and lots of grey at the temples. I haven't started dying my whole head, but use Clairol (I think?) root touchup. Takes 10mins - although I leave it on for 15 - and makes a world of difference. (In fact I really REALLY need to do it now!) I think it's about $7.

JustMe
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I have this problem too...although my hair is brown, it is pretty noticeable. I can't say that I have found a great solution. One thing I do that does help somewhat is to do my temples and basically the whole frame of my face first before I re-color the rest of my roots. This gives extra time to those areas, which I think help. I noticed the color does seem to stay in a little longer that way, although yes its not long before I see gray. So, I will be watching to see if anyone has found anything that works. I have tried a couple of the brush in touch up products (dont remember which) and they didnt work for me at all. Either I don't feel like they ever covered the gray well from when I appliled it or it no longer was effective within a few hours.

niccig
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I have dark brown and first gray hair around 21yo. My Dad has been snow white since 40s, so that's the trend in my family. I tried all over colour and it was too much upkeep with the roots. I now see a great hairdresser and she does highlights in such a way that there is no obvious growth. It's been over 5 months since my last appt as too busy to see her, and I was complemented all this week by family by my hair cut and colour. It costs more to see her, but I rarely have an appt. So it's cheaper than when I saw someone else.

The other option it to let the grey come in. My sister is very gray at 38 and she leaves it, but has a funky cut so she doesn't look old. A mum at DS's school does the same and it looks great.

JTsMom
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
My hair is auburn, but I have the same problem. Makes me nuts! One thing that helps a little bit is a product called Gray Magic that you add to the hair color bottle. I use pro stuff (at home), but I'd bet you can add it to the packaged stuff as well. You can buy it at Sally's.