PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 year old putting everything in mouth - frustrated!!!

hollybloom24
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
deleting for privacy

MamaKath
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Can you give her something more appropriate to chew on at the time like a straw or teether? I would explain that germs could make her sick from some of the other things, but that this item is okay. If you have a chance you might want to call a doctor or dentist just to rule out anything (molars coming in or vitamin deficiency) beyond a stage.

hillview
12-28-2009, 09:07 AM
DS is 4.5 and has been doing this. It seems like a random bad habit. He chews his shirt sleeves, fingers and toys. I do the germ thing and try to stop him casually -- eg remove his fingers from his mouth gently. I hope it passes.
/hillary

egoldber
12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
It's frustrating, but it is a normal stress relieving behavior. Offering her something more acceptable to chew on may help.

hollybloom24
12-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and support!!!

mikeys_mom
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't have any great suggestions but wanted to let you know that my 5 year old DS does this all.the.time. It seems to come and go but I often find him with his sleeve all wet from chewing on it. Don't even get me started about how he chews on his winter jacket. Drives me crazy but I am pretty sure it is a phase and am eagerly awaiting for it to end.

I try not to make a big deal about it.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
It's frustrating, but it is a normal stress relieving behavior. Offering her something more acceptable to chew on may help.

:yeahthat: Definitely sounds stress/anxiety related. Offering something more appropriate would be my suggestion too. And/Or, working on whatever is causing the anxiety...

ETA: When DS started preschool, he started lifting up the hem of his shirt and chewing on it. His shirt would be so wet, I thought he'd had a potty accident. It passed, and I was just glad it wasn't his blinking tic reappearing instead.

hellokitty
12-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Oh, I am sooo glad someone else is having the same issue. My 4.5 yr old has been putting things in his mouth too. Two wks ago, we hosted a playdate. The genius decided to put a mini-kush ball that was a party favor into his mouth and was running around laughing and chasing around another kid. Talk about a choking hazard! The only reason I found out was b/c he was laughing while running around and I saw something neon green in his mouth! I made him spit it out and throw it in the trash. He knew I was upset. He has also on occasion put legos in his mouth. I have no idea why. He knows he is not supposed to do it, but does it anyway. I am so frustrated by this. DS3 is about the enter the crawling phase and I am already freaked out that he will choke on his older brothers' toys and now I have to worry about DS2 as well. This kid also sticks his hands in his mouth which just infuriates me. It is no wonder he is sick all of the time...

arivecchi
12-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I am currently staying at the in-laws' house. A 5 year old boy who lives in their town swallowed a tack and sadly passed away because of it. I would not be too concerned with chewing sleeves, etc., but would probably do something more drastic about it if the child is placing more dangerous objects in his/her mouth. It does not sound like the OP's case is this serious but I just wanted to mention this because I was so shocked by this story.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
That's so sad, and a good reminder.

mecawa
12-28-2009, 11:49 AM
When DD1 was about 4 1/2 she started doing this, it seemed to be a phase, she kind of stopped it on her, I just kept reminding her about germs. This also coincided with me being just about ready to deliver DD2, so I also thought it was maybe a regression type of thing. It didn't last for too too long (maybe a month).

hollybloom24
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
The story of the child swallowing the tack is so sad. Our problems are more like chewing on gloves, shirt cuffs, jacket sleeves, hands - so gross!

DD is a very shy child except at home where she bullies her twin sister around. So the mouth stuff seems to be either when she's in a new or different situation or being reprimanded at home. I don't find her asleep at night with her hand in her mouth, for example.