PDA

View Full Version : where best to place my car seat

april428
12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I just bought a Roundabout 50. I have a Lexus SUV. My daughter is still rearfacing. Should the car seat be in the middle or near the window?

Joolsplus2
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
In the middle if you can get a good installation with the seatbelt (LATCH is probably not approved in the center), or LATCH in the 'outboard' window spot. Center is statistically safest, but in such a safe car in such a safe seat and rearfacing, even the outboard is extremely safe and maybe more convenient for getting the kiddo in and out. Also be sure to read the Britax manual about rearfacing tethering.

lorinick
12-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Where ever you get the best install in your car. I like the center. But you can't always use the center.

april428
12-27-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks! I actually do have latches in the middle. So I will try that.

arivecchi
12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks! I actually do have latches in the middle. So I will try that. Do you really have LATCH in the middle? You cannot borrow the outboard LATCH, so you would have six LATCH clips total in the back seat if you indeed have LATCH in the center. Jools or O_Mom can confirm.

Joolsplus2
12-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Only the Lexus 470 has LATCH in the middle (and driver side, but not the passenger side, because I guess the seat has to be folded forward for access to the third row).
On other Lexuses you'd be 'borrowing' the outboard LATCHes, which Lexus does not approve of (LATCH is actually highly regulated, the positioning is very precise, and stretching the straps out too far to use non-approved spots causes seats to fail crash testing).

Your vehicle manual will specify which spots have LATCH by showing pictures of carseats installed there.

april428
12-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes, I do have the Lexus GX 470. Thanks.

Joolsplus2
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Awesome :). Well, the LATCH-in-the-center spiel is never a bad one for me to give, it helps out the lurkers, right?
You should have no problems installing in that car :)

TwoBees
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
In the middle if you can get a good installation with the seatbelt (LATCH is probably not approved in the center), or LATCH in the 'outboard' window spot. Center is statistically safest, but in such a safe car in such a safe seat and rearfacing, even the outboard is extremely safe and maybe more convenient for getting the kiddo in and out. Also be sure to read the Britax manual about rearfacing tethering.

What about cars with side airbags and/or side curtain airbags? Do these make the outboard positions safer, or less safe for kids in carseats in the outboard?

Joolsplus2
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
So far they are not known to be dangerous to kids. Some very early-generation (I think only in very high end cars) rear side torso bags have been known to crack carseats (but not injure the children in them, just crack the shell). In short, don't worry. They wouldn't put LATCH right next side/curtain bags if they thought it would be dangerous.

AnnieW625
12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I think it's pure personal preference. In both of our cars, a Honda Pilot (2006), and a Toyota Corolla (2001) we kept our daughter in the center seat until she was over 2/1/2. We thought DD would be safer there esp. in the Corolla, which doesn't have side impact air bags.

codex57
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Man, on that Lexus, I'd have no problems putting my kid on the side for easier access. Big SUV like that with all the airbags. Especially if it was a properly installed seat with side impact protection like the Blvd or something.

Generally, I would prefer it in the middle. I have to use seatbelt in my Lexus and it's kind of a pain.