PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - what do you do when you cannot drive?

jess_g
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
In my case I hurt my right leg and it hurts too much to drive. Its mostly when I have my foot on the brakes but its hard to concentrate when I am thinking of the pain so much so for the next few days I have stopped driving. Luckily its school vacation right now but I was wondering what other people do when they cannot drive for a while. Do you get other people to drive for you? Or just keep the kids at home? Any other ideas on how to get out and about without driving? We are in a small town so no taxis and very little bus service although we may try that tomorrow just for fun. Today we stayed home all day.

Thanks,

Jessica.

hobie
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I was unable to drive for some time as well. DH tooks us on his days off. When he worked and the kids and I had to go somewhere, my mom (who lives 20 min away) would come and drive my car (since it has all 3 carseats installed). We also have really great neighbors who would pick up groceries, if I was really desperiate. We also live in a rural area, so buses and taxies are not an option. Mostly, we just stayed home (but this was before the kids were in school...).

jenandahalf
12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
When we moved to suburban Chicago 3 years ago neither of us had a licence and we were in the middle of nowhere. My daughter and I took cabs to the local village a couple of times a week and we took cabs down to the nearby supermarket a few times. At the weekend we took a cab to the train to Chicago or friends drove us around. We had to do this for 3 weeks before we moved to downtown Chicago where we didn't need to drive!

MamaKath
12-27-2009, 11:39 PM
DH recently had another surgery on his right foot. He can not drive. At all. I drive him, someone else drives, or he stays home. If he has to be somewhere but I can not stay with him, he gets a ride home or I come back. Last week he had to wait in my car for me because I couldn't get home to get him for where he needed to be after work. It is a pain and will go on like this for the next few months most likely. If we lived in the actual suburbs or an urban area, buses or taxis might work, but our area is pretty rural.

GL and I hope your foot feels better soon!