PDA

View Full Version : Re-purpose our crib?

infomama
12-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Dd2 is climbing out (she is our last baby) but I have some real attachment issues with the crib itself. I really don't want to get rid of it. I am racking my brain on how I can reuse the wood. Perhaps make picture frames with the slats and use the larger pieces for part of a bench?
Ideas??

wellyes
12-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh boy! You are ambitious. I admire that.

Do consignment shops take cribs? I don't see why not, but now that I think of it, I've never seen one at a shop. I think CL and using the $$ on something for your family is a good idea. Beyond that, I got nothin'.

JBaxter
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
pack it away for the grandbabies :)

neeter
12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Can you turn one side into a headboard for a twin bed?

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Take one side off and make it a day bed for the playroom/den?

infomama
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
We don't really need another bed (at least of that size) and I can't imagine my dds would use my 'old crib' but that is *years* away.
I imagine framing some of their artwork in the crib wood frames. We have so many beautiful pictures from over the years and it would be neat to see it up on the walls of the playroom. I think it would be sweet to look at those crib frames and knowi that we made them from their crib. Using some of the larger wood for a nice indoor bench would be a fun project.
I guess when I think about selling the crib it makes me sad but when I think about reusing it (even in another form) it gives me comfort.

KrisM
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I think the frames sound like a great idea. Or a bench. Or a coffee table? Could you make a crib for a doll out of part?

Melaine
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I hope you post pictures of the finished project. I think turning it into some kind of heirloom is such a neat idea.

infomama
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Here is a great idea for the springs under the mattress if you have a good spot for it. I don't have die cuts to store but I can see hanging little removable bins on the wire, labeling them and storing things such as art supplies, power cords (computer stuff), small everyday tools, etc. We have a big open wall over our washer and dryer that you work well for this. I'll keep it in my back pocket.....
http://bp3.blogger.com/_-d7-A3Qp0G8/SDOHdF6av-I/AAAAAAAAAOU/BTQYO7vkXQY/s320/repurpose+crib+springs+close+up.JPGHere is an exerpt from the blog of the woman who came up with this idea..."I just recently added this repurposed item.. When I came home with this my family just shook their heads. I told them not to worry I had the perfect plan for this treasure. What is it you ask...well it is the springs of a baby crib (painted that pretty shade of blue that I love) It is the perfect way to store all of my die-cuts. I purchased some little "S" hooks for them to hang on---now I can easily see what I have and it makes them so accessible."

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 04:37 PM
The purpose of a daybed is usually seating rather than a bed, it's like a mini-sofa for them to curl up on.

AnnieW625
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
save the crib for your children. My grandma did this with the crib that they bought for my dad in 1950 and it was used for me, my brother, sister, DD, and will be used by #2. My mom restained the crib before I used it for a short time when I was 2, and before my brother used later on that year. She retouched it again with non toxic stain before giving it to us to use for DD, and even remeasured the slats, they are less than 1/8th of a in. off of today's JPMA standards. Cribs are a wonderful keepsake IMHO.