PDA

View Full Version : Foaming Hand Soap or Regular Hand Soap

Kitten007
12-28-2009, 06:41 AM
I am having trouble keeping my hands from becoming dry and cracked. The cold weather and frequent hand washing from changing both boys is just killing my hands.

I was wondering if I should use foaming hand soap so I don't have to rub as hard. But here's the thing.....is foaming hand soap just as effective as regular hand soap? I tried searching here and the web and can't find anything.

Also, any recommendations for hand lotion to help my hands heal? They are so bad they are cracking and bleeding.

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I use Eucerin Plus intensive repair hand creme every day in winter, if it gets really bad I rub aquaphor on before putting my gloves on. Because I can't have the flu shots I am religious with my hand sanitizer and it really dries my skin.

I don't know if foaming hand wash is any less effective. I get it for my daughter as it's easier for her to rub all over her hands, but I don't know if it works any better or worse from a cleansing perspective. I noticed a lot of places seem to have it in their dispensers nowadays.

Corie
12-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Several women on this board recommended the Moisture Therapy Intensive hand cream by Avon. It is AWESOME!! My hands crack and bleed every winter and this cream
has worked miracles on my hands. I love it.

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=5905

wellyes
12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I can't see any reason why foaming hand soap is any less effective than bar soap - technique is more important than which soap you use, right? You're supposed to rub your hands in soap for 20 seconds (something like that).

JBaxter
12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Do you use antibacterial soap? That stuff is wicked. The foaming soap is the same as the other liquid soap so it works just as well.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Agreed, I try to stay away from antibacterial soap, it's *very* drying. Last year I think it was JT's mom that recommended Dr. Bronner knockoff soap at TJ's. It's oil based, so less drying. I put it in an empty soap foamer. I also use Eucerin, aquaphor, vanicream, etc. and liquid bandage if I get really bad cracks.

lizzywednesday
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
DH's hands get like this because of the sanitizer and the number of times per day he washes up (he's intensely germphobic) regardless of the type of soap he uses.

To treat it before his hands start cracking, we use Cetaphil lotion (or store-brand knockoff) ... but once his hands start cracking, we switch to that Neutrogena intense-therapy stuff in the teeny-tiny tube (or store-brand knockoff) because it absorbs quickly, is unscented and usually stays on through a couple of washes. Oh, and don't be turned off by the price; you only need a tiny bit.

We also use Badger Balm Hand Therapy (comes in scented or unscented; the scented kind of smells like root beer and mint, which makes sense because it's got birch oil in it ... both are olive oil based) but only at night with gloves or old tube socks over the hands to keep it off the sheets.

As for a difference between foaming soap and regular liquid soap, honestly, it doesn't matter so long as you are scrubbing your hands together for 30 seconds (long enough to sing 'Happy Birthday' twice OR 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' OR the alphabet song once ... or you can be really anal and set a timer) ... pre-foamed soap doesn't change that.