PDA

View Full Version : Any Ipod gurus out there?

pinkmomagain
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I am trying to repurpose an old ipod for my little one. I'd like to take the music off and start an itunes library for the old ipod with dora, backyardigans, etc. Problem is all our pcs have an ipod and corresponding itunes library on it. I don't know how to add a new, additional itunes library on one of the pcs for the old ipod without messing up everyone else's stuff. I'm sure it's not hard to do, it's just not obvious to me on how to start this process. Does anyone have any experience with this? TIA!

wellyes
12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Libraries are tricky & I've not had luck with them. To keep it simple, I'd just create a DC-only playlist and set up the ipod to only sync with that playlist, nothing else.

kristenk
12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I'd just create a DC-only playlist and set up the ipod to only sync with that playlist, nothing else.

:yeahthat: I think that would be the easiest thing to do.

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
We have both of our iPhones and my daughters iPod set up on one iTunes account, because we all have different tastes etc we set up playlists and set the sync to only pick up the relevant playlist for that device.

Reyadawnbringer
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Libraries are tricky & I've not had luck with them. To keep it simple, I'd just create a DC-only playlist and set up the ipod to only sync with that playlist, nothing else.

The playlist is the way to go. From what I understand the library is the master file and playlists are the way to manage individual libraries.

pinkmomagain
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Makes sense. Thanks so much for your speedy replies.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Since you ipod experts are on this thread, do you mind answering another question? I'm totally clueless about ipods. I inherited DH's old one once he got an iphone. I have his ipod library on my computer, but I'd like to add my music too. Some are duplicates. How do I sync to both sets of music wo/having duplicates. Once there are duplicates on the ipod, is there an easy way to eliminate them (for storage space reasons).

egoldber
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Honestly, I find the whole "auto syncing" and playlists to be an incredible PITA. So I just manually sync everything. Everything is in one libtrary and I just drag and drop what I want into either my iPod or iPhone. It's just easier for me to manage than figuring out the rules for syncing.

But I don't have tons of music. I mainly use it for podcasts and books on CD.

Penny's Pappa
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
First, taking the music off the iPod is easy. Just plug it in, open up iTunes, and reset the iPod to factory defaults.

Second, you can create a new, independent library for each iPod. Simply hold "Shift" as you open up iTunes and keep holding it until a small dialog box opens up. There you will be given the option to "Choose Library" (which you'll need later to switch from one person's library to another's) or "Create Library." Click "Create Library" and then select the songs that you would like to add to that library just as you normally would.

Penny's Pappa
12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Since you ipod experts are on this thread, do you mind answering another question? I'm totally clueless about ipods. I inherited DH's old one once he got an iphone. I have his ipod library on my computer, but I'd like to add my music too. Some are duplicates. How do I sync to both sets of music wo/having duplicates. Once there are duplicates on the ipod, is there an easy way to eliminate them (for storage space reasons).

Poke around the menu options. You should find one that says something like "Show Duplicates." This will isolate any duplicate songs just like a regular song search would do allowing you to delete the duplicates from your library (and your PC if you so choose).