PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your purse

Kymberley
12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm looking for a new purse. I bought a few too many Coach bags last year, and I'm selling all of them and starting over as they do not meet my needs anymore. I am actually looking for a tote style bag, I think. The thing I'm worried about with tote bags is the length of the straps. I want to be able to carry it on my shoulder without it being a hassle. I'm starting to carrying DS in his Beco more often because he is bigger and I'm sick of lugging his Snugride around. What would be the best type of bag for this? I really just want something to throw his diaper pod in along with essentials. I didn't post this in the diaper bag forum as that is not what I'm looking for. If you have a bag that you love, could you tell me about it? (I love leather!)

hellokitty
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't know if it is your style or not. However, since becoming a mom, I've come to fall in love with vera bradley bags. They are cloth, very light, the straps are the correct length for their tote bags and they are washable. I should sell off my coach, I haven't used those since college...

The new pleated tote VB style would be perfect for a casual looking diaper bag. It's on my wish list. Right now I use the large backpack as a diaper bag (I have a young baby though, so lug a lot around), and the cargo sling has worked well for me when my kids were older, but that style has been discontinued. A lot of their other totes are good too, but open at the top (no zipper).

pinkmomagain
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't know how expensive you want to get, but 4 years ago my dh surprised me with a LV tote. When #3 was a baby I'd just stick a little diaper/wipes thingy in there, some toys, and I was good to go. I still use it as my primary bag now. It has held up really really well and is truly a classic.
http://www.louisvuitton.com/us/flash/index.jsp?direct1=home_entry_us

eta: Didn't realize that the link above doesn't go directly to the bag. Can't seem to figure that out. Anways, mine is the Batignolles Horizontal in the Monogram Canvas Collection. Love it.

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I have some Coach bags that I love, I actually just picked up a tote with shoulder straps from the outlet last week which I'm planning to double up as a diaper bag in the spring.

A comparable line is Cole Haan, very good quality and they are having a good sale right now.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Don't know how expensive you want to get, but 4 years ago my dh surprised me with a LV tote. When #3 was a baby I'd just stick a little diaper/wipes thingy in there, some toys, and I was good to go. I still use it as my primary bag now. It has held up really really well and is truly a classic.
http://www.louisvuitton.com/us/flash/index.jsp?direct1=home_entry_us

i'll second the recommendation for an Louis Vuitton bag..i don't have kids yet (though, any day now!! :D) but i have set aside a collection of LV bags I plan to use the most once DS arrives. I have two LV canvas totes, one is the called the Neverfull (love the name) and the other is called the Totally.

the Neverfull i have is in the Damier print which means no worries in the rain, etc.. here is a link. although it's an open top, i use one of those purse organizers (like purse-to-go, etc) inside of it which really helps. it comes in 3 sizes (i have the MM size, i think you'd need at least that to carry around diapers, wipes, etc)
http://www.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/louis-vuitton-damier-neverfull.html

another one i have is the Totally which is a bit more $$ but i like a bit more because it has a zippered top and has pockets on the outside (which is great for bottles etc). also has lots of pockets on the inside. i bought this one soon after i found i was prego since i knew it would be kid-friendly
http://www.ilvoelv.com/2009/02/louis-vuitton-damier-azur-totally.html

the thing i really love about both of these LV totes is that they are very lightweight. i too loove leather bags, and i have some great LV leather bags as well but the prob with leather i find is that they tend to be somewhat heavy, so i don't know how user-friendly they'd be carrying around a baby & his essentials etc.

C99
12-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I always found that a satchel- or cross-body style bag was the best when babywearing, but YMMV. I only carried a diaper bag (SH Dash) when my babies were young. When out with my kids, I carry a Boden satchel. When not, I carry the Kate Spade Serena bag.

Mikey0709
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow - another vote for Louis Vuitton here...... from a former Coach addict. I had the LV Damier Neverfull - but sold it becuase i really need a shoulder/messenger type bag - - though i loved it for it's size. (FYI - sold it for close to what i paid using craigslist - always keep your receipts!) I now have a Damier Bloomsbury and LOVE it because it's lightweight and i can wear it cross-body messenger style. I'm sure i'll be using this one for years - - compared to all my HEAVY coach bags that i also collected and sold cause i was tired of them after a few months...

clc053103
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Also an LV fan- I have since sold almost every Coach bag on ebay

I have a Galliera PM that would fit a diaper pod easily and is plenty roomy for other essentials- it's a little more "substantial" a bag then the Neverfulls- though they may be lighter if you are really packing a lot of stuff.

My new "baby" is a personalized Speedy- a Christmas surprise! I don't think that would work for your needs, but I just love it!

ETA: ms.pacman, thank you for mentioning the purse to go insert!!! I just ordered a jumbo to fit my Galliera PM and Speedy 30! so excited!

Babymakes3
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I 2nd the Vera Bradley bags too! I have my eye on one right now in the Betsy style. I'm stuck on Symphony in Hue and Yellow Bird!

I also really like my Juicy Couture bags! I have a few daydreamers that are a good size for throwing diapers/wipes/sippy/snack into for running errands.

I also have this Juicy bag and LOVE it!
http://www.juicycouture.com/shoponline/handbagsshoes/handbags/prodV0BJV

Another bag I carry often is a denim Coach tote, it's very lightweight and holds quite a bit!
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-COACH-SIGNATURE-DENIM-LARGE-TOTE-PURSE-BAG-12878_W0QQitemZ280432348133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C SA_WH_Handbags?hash=item414b120be5

The Coach signature stripe collection has some nice sized totes that zip on top too.

Yes, i have a bag addiction!

emily_gracesmama
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
yeah, LV here too, mine have held up amazingly well. I have a medium shopper I think in the monogram, they don't make that style anymore, on their website and one of monogram barrel bags that I use in the spring/summer and a few of the multicolore evening bags that come out rarely at night. The main purses are 7 years old and still awesome!

luvmypeanut
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Lately, I've been using my Bottega Veneta Campana bag. It's buttery soft and the straps stay on my shoulders.

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/collections/catalog/fallwinter20092010/?region=Hawaii#/?page=20&
The Campana is on the right. Mine is in the Ebano color which is a dark chocolate brown.

hellokitty
12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
How do you ladies tolerate rolled handles for shoulder bags? I have ruled out a lot of nicer looking bags, b/c I cannot stand the rolled handles on my shoulder. Not only do they hurt, but they keep falling off and then when you are running after your child, the last thing you want to do is keep on having to readjust your bag.

AJP
12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Yay for LV & the Neverfull! I have a GM and used it for myself (for a few months) before the girls arrived. It is a great tote and light weight (when empty). It looks a lot better when not stuffed full of baby junk like I have mine lately. Straps are the right length for over the shoulder without hanging down low on the body. I have LV's that I've loved, used and abused for years...very durable!

lchang25000
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I have LV and Gucci tote handbags and love both equally.