PDA

View Full Version : Another Cookware Question....

ohiomom1121
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I have always bought nonstick cookware and have gone through quite a few sets. Then I made the HUGE mistake of purchasing a big Green Pan set that was basically just money down the drain because they are HORRIBLE. So I decided to try stainless steel. My husband bought me a set of Kitchenaid Gourmet Distinctions pans for Christmas. They get pretty good reviews, but I'd need to add on another covered saute pan for about $80. I can't decide if I should return them and get the Kirkland set from Costco which get really good reviews. Does anyone have either set? I have read every cookware thread and can't figure out what to do. I really don't want to spend over $250 so these two sets seem to be the best options in that price range. I have a few cast iron pans, but don't like using them for everyday pans. Thanks!!!

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a combination set of non-stick and stainless that I got from the Calphalon outlet near me for about $150 last year, since I like non-stick skillets and stainless saucepans. I've seen comparable sets of Calphalon in Target for under $200. I had a set of Kitchenaid nonstick prior to this and it wore out after about 18 months.

KHF
12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
As much as I would like to switch to stainless, I've tried it. I just can't cook with it. I burn everything, it sticks or I have to use enough grease to start my own oil slick. I've been through several types of stainless and non-stick and my current one is my favorite by far! I'm using Anolon Advanced now. I've had the set for well over a year now and there is absolutely NO flaking or scratching on the non-stick surface. My mom has the same set and also :heartbeat: it. I got the 12 piece set on a screaming deal at Amazon (~$150), but even more expensive, it would be worth it.

This is the kind I have:
Anolon Advanced (http://www.anolon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1177513656321/anolon/1177513657047/Page/CollectionName/Anolon%2520Advanced/en_US/FullPage.htm)

ohiomom1121
12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
That Analon looks nice, I just worry about it long term. How long has your mom had hers? Seems like nothing I've tried holds up for more than a few years. I'm so torn!!! I was thinking of buying a few nonstick skillets for eggs etc that can just be replaced after they start to wear out. I just can't decide!!!

Tondi G
12-28-2009, 02:07 PM
My mom loves her Eva-co non stick skillets.

I have a mix of stuff... old farberware, newer cuisinart stainless, a Eva-co frying pan, and a couple of cast iron pieces. I would love to have ONE matched set but different pieces are good for different things.

KHF
12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Mom and I got it at the same time, so honestly, I can tell you how it holds up past a year and a half. I had the same thought, that I'd get a few non-stick skillets and just buy new ones when needed, but I found out that I hated cooking in pots that were stainless too :) Seriously, I've tried. I'm hopeless.

I do have one cast iron pan that I got from my grandmother, but it's not recommended for my smoothtop stove. I could theoretically buy Le Creuset or other coated cast iron, but frankly, I don't want to lug it around.

I do use the skillets more often, so will probably have to replace those pieces more quickly, but I expect that with non-stick skillets. If you do find a set that will hold up for a long time that isn't stainless, please do let me know :)

egoldber
12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
It takes awhile to get used to cooking in stainless, but I'll never go back now. I was using much too high a heat and not letting the pan thoroughly pre-heat. Once I trained myself to do that, I was golden. :)

KHF
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Beth, I think it was your suggestions in one of the last rounds of discussions on stainless vs. non-stick that got me to try it again. I did all those things, still...my husband asked me if I was going to burn down the house, or just go back to non-stick. So I went back to non-stick :)

That is one thing too that I think has prolonged the life of most of my non-stick pans (I've had some that I've kept for years with no peeling, flaking, etc.). I never cook higher than a medium high...ever. (On my stoves' 0-10 scale, the highest I ever do is 7.5) And I hand wash all of my cookware. I've never been one to put it in the dishwasher.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I never go above medium, usually more like medium low. And the pan needs to feel hot to your hand if you hold your hand to it before you add food. And I can make eggs slippery slidey in my stainless skillet.

Other than that, I've got nothin'. ;)

KHF
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Do you use a certain kind of stainless? I'm open to giving it another try...fifth time's the charm, right? Heh.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Ours is All Clad. But I have used the Cuisinart stainless with success at my ILs.

lowrioh
12-28-2009, 04:02 PM
I have the SS Kirkland ones and I LOVE them. We've had them about 4 or 5 years now and they still look like new.
We do have a non-stick fry pan that we pull out for pancakes and eggs though.

AnnieW625
12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
I have a mix of Calphalon Non Stick Pro (the old line that was discontinued in 2003), Circulon, Analon, one All Clad stainless sauce pot, and a 3 qt. stainless sauce pot I got from a local restaurant supply store. I really like my set and it works well for us. I got the Calphalon based on the fact that my Grandma has had her hard adonized stuff for 20+ years at the time. I have one 8" frying pan that has chipped a little and I need to send it back (it's suppose to be gauranteed for life), but just haven't gotten around to it yet. If I had to do it all over again I'd get Circulon frying pans instead because those little ridges make them soo easy to clean. I have one 9" fryer that I got as a Christmas present years ago and it's still in great shape! Friends of ours have the Kirkland Signature set they got as a wedding present in 2005 and they really like it. I think it's the non stick set and IIRC it was made by Circulon or Anolon (same company, Meyer Corporation).

Instead of investing a whole lot of $$$ in All Clad stainless I'd check out your restaurant supply store for some of their stainless and see how you like it. If you end up having really great luck then go and start investing in some All Clad pieces that will last a lifetime. I like my 3qt from the restaurant supply store just as much as I like my 1 qt. sauce pan from All Clad.

Also I love love love my 2.5 qt. non stick pot for rice, it's a god send (if you only have one non stick pot get this one; perfect rice everytime!:)): http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=99028&CategoryID=24733&cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-99028-_-image_link

lizzywednesday
12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I like my Emerilware by All-Clad; it's stainless with copper for heat management.

Of course, this was a wedding gift and I pitched all my nonstick, which came from Ikea, out of paranoia about the noxious gasses I was releasing every time I used it.

We have supplemental pans that are cast iron (1 Emerilware 2-burner grill/griddle; 1 Lodge 10" covered skillet; 1 Emerilware grill-skillet) and anodized (Lidia Bastianich for All-Clad covered pan; grill pan from Williams-Sonoma, IDK the brand; Joyce Chen carbon-steel wok) and a Le Creuset enameled cast-iron soup pot.

Of all of it, I love the even temperatures of the stainless but may be replacing the Ikea nonstick because it comes in really handy for stuff like omelets ... and it's super inexpensive for a 2-pan set.

AnnieW625
12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Also check out Cooks Illustrated, they give wonderful reviews of cookware and knives. That's where I learned about the tip of checking out restaurant supply stores for their stainless cookware.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
We only have 3 All Clad pieces: an 8 inch skillet, a 4 quart saucepan and a 1 quart saucepan. All bought on clearance or super discount over the years. :) I've never bought a set because I like different types of pieces for various things.

ohiomom1121
12-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the info ladies! I will definitely have to get used to cooking at lower heats, but I think in the long run a SS set just makes more sense. We do have a restaurant supply not too far from here so I may check that out. Good to hear some good reviews of the Kirkland pans. I'm leaning towards those since I could return them if I really didn't like them. I'd love to get All-Clad but just can't imagine spending that much!

jenandahalf
12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
It's worth keeping an eye on Bloomingdales sales for All-Clad and other brands, I got my Le Creuset cast iron Dutch oven from there for $75 and I've seen a Wusthof Classic knife set worth over $1,000 for $199 (I already had all the pieces in it which is how I knew it was worth so much!).

egoldber
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
It's worth keeping an eye on Bloomingdales sales for All-Clad and other brands

:yeahthat: We got one piece at Bloomies on super discount, another at Macy's on super discount and another at a kitchen store that was going out of business.

ETA: I have used the Kirkland stainless also and it is very nice.

Happy 2B mommy
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
If you look at a resturant supply store, see if you can Vollrath ss. I have a pot that is at LEAST 40 years old and it is amazing!

athompson
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
For those that have been successful at using ss, do you let the pan preheat and then add oil or add oil and then let it preheat?
Thanks!

AnnieW625
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I've done both with my sauce pots, but I try not to get it too hot or for other things like garlic if the oil gets to hot it burns the garlic too quickly and then it's unusable, same with adding butter to a hot pot to make a base for a rue. I've done that too many times.

Forgot to add I also love my Le Creuset 2.5 qt. covered casserole (enameled cast iron), and my Lodge cast iron grill pan.

I agree about perusing stores for deals. The only set I own is the Calphalon Non Stick Pro set and I got that on clearance at BBB with a 20% off coupon for maybe $220 for 8 pieces. The stock pot alone was $80 or $90 so I knew I was getting a good deal on it. IIRC the whole set was around $550 or even more when we registered in 2002 for our 2003 wedding.

Also look at the little two piece sets or special holiday sets. I find that those work just as well as the stuff sold in sets. That's how I got my Circulon 9" fryer, and my beloved 2.5 qt. Calphalon sauce pan. Oh and FWIW glass lids are great and was also part of the reason we went with the Calphalon Non Stick Pro, it had glass lids:). Macy's and BBB carry these a lot.

jenandahalf
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Williams Sonoma has some nice mini-sets, I noticed the other day. And they do some awesome daily deals if you sign up for their emails.

egoldber
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I add the oil and then let it preheat. I used to do the opposite and then saw on America's Test Kitchen one day they said to do the opposite. I think it helps a lot.

MaiseyDog
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
If you are looking for reasonably priced stainless, Cooks Illustrated recommends the Tramontina 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set from Wal-Mart.

Here's the review "This fully clad cookware set is an amazing bargain, with performance, design, and construction comparable to All-Clad cookware (though cooking surfaces are slightly smaller). Sturdy and moderately heavy, with riveted handles and slow, steady heating.
Pros: Well designed; performance comparable to All-Clad
Cons: Small pans; limited supply; available only at Wal-Mart"

sansdieu
12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
For those that have been successful at using ss, do you let the pan preheat and then add oil or add oil and then let it preheat?
Thanks!

I only use non-stick for eggs; for everything else, I use enameled cast iron or stainless.

For stainless, I preheat first and then add cold oil, and sticking is not a problem. In fact, some degree of "sticking" is necessary for cooking -- if you want caramelization to occur (then you deglaze the delicious "fond" and make pan gravy). The key is not to move that piece of meat for the first couple of minutes, then nudge it gently.

I find that here's where most people run into trouble with stainless: they cook for the first time; there's some residue on the pan, and they use their use their scrubbers to get it off (after all, scrubbers can't hurt steel, right?) In fact, it will remove the protective coating, and everything you cook subsequently will stick as a result. When I'm done cooking, I cool the pan, pour water in it, add some baking soda and boil it (while keeping a close eye -- that combination can easily boil over). That removes any kind of residue, without any scrubbing. (To clean enameled cast iron, I dissolve baking soda in warm water in the pan, then add a bit of bleach and let the pan soak a couple of hours -- again, no scrubbing so as not to destroy the enamel).

I have read however that stainless isn't the best option for the health-conscious (Debra Lynn Dadd, e.g., won't use stainless at all.)