PDA

View Full Version : Helping DS learn to print name/letters....

TamiRuns
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
DS will be 5 in February and I'm concerned at his lack of interest in learning to print his name or, really, to learn to print any letters. He is in his second year of preschool - a class of all 4-5 yr old boys- and he is one of the only boys who doesn't want to put his name on his papers/projects. I know his personality is a big factor. First, he isn't interested in anything other than playing with trucks or tractors....and he doesn't have patience at all. If he tries to do something (write a letter) and can't, he gets frustrated and gives up. And is very stubborn so just never wants to try again....

I had him sign/print his name to some Xmas cards and thank you cards...it was like pulling teeth! I bought the Leapfrog scribble and write thinking maybe if the "teaching" didn't come from me, he would be interested. Didn't work....

I'm guessing that, yes, eventually he'll learn to print his name and letters but I hate to see him lagging behind and want to help. We'll be sending him to kindergarten in the fall (he'll be 5 1/2)....anyone else experience this with their
DC? Any advice? I'm out of ideas....

Oh, at preschool, he will trace the letters and attempt to print them on his own
most of the time...but the teacher doesn't make any of the kids do this if he chooses not to.....

HIU8
12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
At DS's preschool the kids are required to sign in on a dry erase board outside of the classroom every single morning. It's not pushed, so if they don't do it, they don't do it (required is a loose term). DS has fine motor issues and he was just so very uninterested in using any type of a writing tool (crayons, markers, pencil, pen etc...). He turned 5 in November. Around his 5th bday, something just clicked (plus he is in OT). Now, he draws and writes his name and wants to learn how to spell (see site read) his friends names. On the suggestion of the OTwe got him the capital block letters and the chalk board from Handwriting without tears. He loves to use these items and works with them nightly. I really never thought this would happen b/c of DS's issues and personality. He now can write as well or better than some of the boys in his class. I would talk to his teacher about things you can do and maybe look into some materials from Handwriting without Tears. But, I definitely would not push it. I would offer it and leave it at that.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
He isn't lagging, I promise! In no time at all he will get bit by the same bug every 5+yo that I know gets bit by and will be off and running! The best think you can do is provide art supplies (even just crayons and paper) and leave him be. When the time comes he'll take to it. Even scribbling is great so don't feel you need to direct his writing to something specific.

Kindergarten should be the place where he learns all of this so I wouldn't worry.

You could also try keeping a journal with him. Let him draw a picture about the day and then write something about it. He just simply may not be interested yet though. I promise, the time will come.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
former K teacher - so :yeahthat: to what Heather said. We used HWT in K and I love the program. So easy to learn how to write. I need to expose DH and MIL so they are consistent with the language of it. It makes such good sense the way they teach it. You can purchase materials online yourself, I believe.

HIU8
12-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Yup. You can purchase as a parent online. You do need to know what you want though since there are literally hundreds of items to get applicable to different age ranges. Funny thing--HWT is about 15 minutes from me. They are a warehouse though and not a storefront so they would not sell to me if I showed up at their door. So, I had to pay shipping for the darn package to go through 2 zip codes.

The OT was very clear about which items to use to start with and why (something about the chalk lag on the chalkboard giving the correct type of stimulation to the nerves in DS's hands (rather than another type of chalkboard). We are already beyond the capital block letters, so I have to find out what is appropriate next or if we wait awhile.

brittone2
12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
You can also try doing some things that are more gross motor...like walking a line in the shape of a letter (with painter's tape or outside). See if he can do it with the tape then without. They use techniques like that in Waldorf education.

Fill up a tray or cookie sheet (easier to do outside depending on your tolerance for mess) with some sand and encourage DS to "write" the letter with his finger in the sand. This was good for my DS who likes everything to be perfect...easy to "erase" and start over, kwim?

Make letters out of play doh, clay, bread dough, etc.

write a large letter on construction paper and let him "trace" it using glue. Fill in by placing lentils, rice, popcorn, whatever he might like on the glue portion.

Sometimes working on "writing" without actually writing in the traditional sense is helpful IME.

We have not use Handwriting without Tears but I know many parents that are huge fans.

schrocat
12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
DS's preschool uses handwriting without tears and all the kids in his 4 year old class can write/print their names and other words in varying degrees of neatness.

daisymommy
12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
As a former teacher and homeschooling mother, I want to add in another vote for Handwriting Without Tears! It's a fun program, that is easy for kids to use, and it works!

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd say at least half of the kids in my daughter's kindergarten class didn't write when they started. I don't think he'd be behind if he didn't pick it up by then.

niccig
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
DS is 5 and inpre-K. He has little interest in writing. I was worried, the teachers are not saying he will get there when he is ready and if we push, it will back fire on us. She said to have some things available so he can do it if he wants. He is at a developmental school, so they understand developmental ranges. A friends son is in K, he can write all the letters, but his teacher said not good enough so he will need to repeat K. The school does not agree, this is one out there teacher apparently. My friend is trying to get her son put into another class.

Your DSsounds fine, have a few things available, but don't push.

C99
12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
If he tries to do something (write a letter) and can't, he gets frustrated and gives up. And is very stubborn so just never wants to try again....

I'm guessing that, yes, eventually he'll learn to print his name and letters but I hate to see him lagging behind and want to help. We'll be sending him to kindergarten in the fall (he'll be 5 1/2)....anyone else experience this with their
DC? Any advice? I'm out of ideas....

My advice is to let it go. He'll do it when he's ready. Your DS sounds JUST like my DS1, who will turn 7 in January and is thriving in 1st grade. But he could barely write his name, and then only under duress at school, when he was 5 and in his second year of preschool. He could draw just fine, so it wasn't a fine-motor skills issue. He just wasn't interested in learning to write or read. And that was fine. Right before he entered K, it was like someone flipped on a light switch. About a month before K, he became interested in writing letters, knowing their sounds, writing his name, etc. All on his own. Now he tells me that when he wants to grow up, he wants to be a professor who studies space...

TamiRuns
12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
So much great advice here....thanks!

I'm going to see how he does when school starts back up....and not focus so much on the actual writing but try some other activities suggested...I'm hoping his "switch" gets flipped soon! Definitely makes me feel better to hear that was the case with other kiddos.

Also, we'll be getting information on kindergarten readiness and he'll be assessed in the spring, I believe (I'm not sure how it works since he's our oldest...). I'm pretty sure he's in the normal range but when surrounded by kiddos who are more advanced with writing/printing, it's so hard to not compare.

I'm off to read about HWT....

Thanks so much!