PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for overnight hospital stay for DD and DS?

HIU8
12-28-2009, 12:32 PM
DD and DS are having tonsils and adenoids out (and DD is having tubes) the first week of January. B/C DS has sleep apnea (and DD may as well) they are having this done at Children's National Medical Center and have to stay overnight (DS has to have his oxygen levels monitored for 24 hours post surgery). They told me that DD and DS would be in beds next to one another in a room with many other children- some who do stay overnight and others who will not be. Supposedly I am sleeping on some sort of bed chair in between their beds. For myself I'm literally bringing a toothbrush and toothpaste and that's it. For DD and DS I'm bringing a couple of toys to occupy them and I thought about bringing them their own PJ's. I don't think they will be allowed to brush their teeth, but I have not been told yet. Also, I'm bringing a pull up for each to wear at night (just like at home). DD is potty training, so I'm not sure if I should have several pairs of underwear or if I should just do pull ups while she is there.

Anyone BTDT? What do I need for DS and DD? The ENT materials go over everything except that.

3blackcats
12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
I haven't BTDT, but would they want something familiar from home? Like their own pillows or blankets? I guess I am thinking comfort items, not necessities :)

You may want your own pillow too. Those bed chairs need all the additional comfort you can get.

Hope everything goes well.

BabyMine
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
For you:

Comfy clothes and comfy shoes.
A magazine or book
Some snacks
A small booklight.
Hairbrush
A hair tie if you have long hair.
Warm thick socks

They have tons of pillows and blankets. I used about 2 pillows and 2-3 blankets.(The blankets are usually thin)

Kids:

Snacks
Pull ups and underwear. Play it by ear
pj's
Books to read to them
Portable DVD player
Hairbrush
Warm thick socks

I can't think of anything else. I spent so much time in those chairs I almost got one for my house.

elephantmeg
12-28-2009, 04:25 PM
you'll want: comfy clothes (so if not PJ's then sweats-really), something to read/do, a water bottle.
they'll want: a pull up for surgery for each and one for night and I would do pull ups for the one PTing. I would expect to go through many due to IV fluids during/post OR. Like one for every 4 hours. I would expect to need 3-4ish for the one that just uses them at night
A portable DVD player and some DVD's would help-or hand held game if either kid uses them. Distraction is key pre op and post op! A favorite sippy cup and favorite beverage if not readily accessable everywhere (expect them to have basic sodas and juices and milks).
change of at least shirts for you. If your kid pukes it will manage to hit you somehow. I promise!
a flask...just kidding..sorta. Expect it to be a very long day/night :)