PDA

View Full Version : How do you return a toy without a gift receipt?

Fairy
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Ok, so DS got Spongebob Memory from my MIL. We do not allow DS to watch Spongebob. She didn't ask what he was into, never does, she does her own thing, almost always with thought and genuine excitement to give him a gift. She is usually spot on, and I appreciate that she puts thoguth into stuff. This year, however, things are a little weird, and she clearly just picked up whatever. I'd really like to return this. It was maybe ten bucks, and it costs us nothing to receive a gift, so if we can't, no big deal. However, I have no gift receipt, she lives out of state, and to ask her where she got it (she got it while she was local here), I just don't want to rock the already weird boat with her this year. Is there a way to return something like that to Target or Wal-Mart without a receipt and just get whatever store credit they're willing to give me? Do they do stuff like that? Book stores used to take any book back whether it came from them or not (not anymore), so I wonder if other stores ever do this. Thoughts?

egoldber
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Honestly, it's probably not worth the hassle, this game has been so heavily discounted recently ($5 at most retail stores at least at some point in the last month). I would probably just re-gift it or donate it.

mshen
12-28-2009, 02:09 PM
walmart is your best bet. and if you see any of the drug store carry it, they usually take it back without receipt (i've done it with formula).
________
Nash Metropolitan Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan)

elektra
12-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a similar question too so I thought I would keep this thread going!
I have 2 foogo cups that I received as a gift that I would like to return too. My question was going to be- what is the BEST place to try to return stuff with no gift receipt? My stuff is still in the packaging.
I was thinking either BRU or Target.
(I believe SIL got the cups at Amazon in my case.)

ohiomom1121
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Walmart takes 3 returns per year without a receipt. And Target just started allowing it...I just returned a birthday gift for DD there with no problem. I'm sure they probably limit it as well, but I'm not sure the amount. I think you have to have a receipt at BRU! HTH

Fairy
12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Do they know if that particular item was purchased at their chain, tho? So, if it was purchased at Target, and I try to return it at Wal-Mart, will the barcode tell them it was never stocked at their chain? Or does it not work that way?

vludmilla
12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Walmart takes 3 returns per year without a receipt. And Target just started allowing it...I just returned a birthday gift for DD there with no problem. I'm sure they probably limit it as well, but I'm not sure the amount. I think you have to have a receipt at BRU! HTH

I was just reading the Walmart site and it seems that they accept 3 per 45 day cycle! They even give a cash return for items under $25. Sounds like a great deal.
Kohls also seems to have a good return without receipt policy but my Kohl's does not have much in the way of toys so it wouldn't work to return many things there.

Melanie
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I'd try Target, if they sell them. If not I'd donate it or put it in our consignment sale when it comes up, here.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
The problem is without a receipt they are going to give you the lowest price in their system. Which is probably going to be $5 or less. Up to you if it's worth it.

ETA: I know Target sells them.

Fairy
12-28-2009, 03:32 PM
I think for me, since it's free to get a gift, I'm not out any money no matter how much i get for it on return. I'm just wondering if a store can know by scanning the barcode, this physical game in front of me was never stocked at a Target store (or whatever). We sell Spongebob Memory, we have six of them on the shelf, Target sold 452 of them nationwide, but this one you are now trying to return, was never one of them.

Melanie
12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
They can if they had a special bar code on the ones made for their store. But you can always just play the dumb "oh, they said it was from here. Strange..." and leave. LOL.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
They *may* be able to tell. In some cases manufacturers do a certain packaging configuration for a specific retailer. But I think this game was widely available in that packaging (if it's the one I am thinking of) and I doubt they would be able to tell. It was available at Target, TRU and probably Walmart as well.

ETA: I had to pick through stacks of Spongebob Memory to find the Mickey Mouse Memory requested by my SIL for her DD LOL!!!

Fairy
12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Dude, I'd've taken Mickey Mouse Memory in HEARTBEAT!

dylansnan
12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a similar question too so I thought I would keep this thread going!
I have 2 foogo cups that I received as a gift that I would like to return too. My question was going to be- what is the BEST place to try to return stuff with no gift receipt? My stuff is still in the packaging.
I was thinking either BRU or Target.

For the Foogos I'd try REI- they are awesome about returns!

Melaine
12-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Our Walmart is great for returns, but I know it varies.

Tondi G
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I would just take it back to Target and ask them if you can exchange it for a different style of memory. They have standard, spongebob, mickey mouse, princess etc. Just tell them you have the spongebob one already and would like to swap for a different theme!

deannanb
12-29-2009, 12:09 AM
I think for me, since it's free to get a gift, I'm not out any money no matter how much i get for it on return. I'm just wondering if a store can know by scanning the barcode, this physical game in front of me was never stocked at a Target store (or whatever). We sell Spongebob Memory, we have six of them on the shelf, Target sold 452 of them nationwide, but this one you are now trying to return, was never one of them.

I've tried to return something to Target - and they scan it and will tell you that they don't carry that item. It was when I was returning a bunch of baby items - not a big deal - Just said thanks and did my shopping.

like other pp have said - most stores will give you a gift card and the most recent lowest price (memory was a $5 game recently).

HannaAddict
12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I understand the frustration of no gift receipt and gifts that are not needed/wanted. My MIL is the queen of cheap, useless crap from the Navy Exchange so NO WAY to exchange for civilians, but the reason these stores have all had to tighten their return policies for legitimate returns for real customers is because of these fraudulent returns, where someone knows the item did NOT come from the store and yet wants the store to give them money/credit (which is money) anyway. Again, I totally understand it is a pain. But why not donate the very inexpensive toy and have good karma and not try and put one over on the retailer. If you have to do it, do it to Walmart though, since they are a horrible company on many, many levels. :)

ett
12-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I understand the frustration of no gift receipt and gifts that are not needed/wanted. My MIL is the queen of cheap, useless crap from the Navy Exchange so NO WAY to exchange for civilians, but the reason these stores have all had to tighten their return policies for legitimate returns for real customers is because of these fraudulent returns, where someone knows the item did NOT come from the store and yet wants the store to give them money/credit (which is money) anyway. Again, I totally understand it is a pain. But why not donate the very inexpensive toy and have good karma and not try and put one over on the retailer. If you have to do it, do it to Walmart though, since they are a horrible company on many, many levels. :)

I agree. It's not worth the effort to wait in line to get possibly $5 in merchandise credit. And if they don't take it, you would have wasted the time.

Fairy
12-29-2009, 12:30 AM

You really do make a very good point. For five bucks, even ten ... I agree with you. But I also really agree with the bolded part, too :-).

Given all the options, here, I think I'm probably going to end up just donating it away at next year's toys for tots. Gift closet, meet spongebob ...

DrSally
12-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Gift closet, meet spongebob ...

:ROTFLMAO: Oh, how I loathe spongebob marketed toward toddlers. His is so ubiquitous, DS knows who he is even though he's never watched the show.

poppy
12-29-2009, 06:03 PM

What is Target's return policy? Is it similar to Walmart's?

mshen
12-29-2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/yourmoney/44307242.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUdcOy_nc:DKUiacyKU Ur
Target allows up to $70 in return without receipt.
________
Sc2 replays (http://screplays.com/replays)

poppy
12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks! Is it $70 every ___# of days or year per person?

Do you know the time period? It wasn't specified in the article.

mshen
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
oh it's every 12 month.
________
166 inter (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_166_Inter)

viba424
01-02-2010, 12:35 AM
What do you do if you have a receipt but lost the tag?

I got a robe from the Gap today and its too small. But in folding it back up to return, I noticed the price tag is missing. I dont see it on the floor or in my house anywhere, and I know I didnt take it off! Im worried they wont take it back. I do have the receipt. Do you think they'll take it back?

Fairy
01-02-2010, 12:42 AM

I got a robe from the Gap today and its too small. But in folding it back up to return, I noticed the price tag is missing. I dont see it on the floor or in my house anywhere, and I know I didnt take it off! Im worried they wont take it back. I do have the receipt. Do you think they'll take it back?

I do tend to have good luck with Gap merchandise in returning, but I also buy on my gap card, so that might have somethign to do with it. Not sure. I'd give it a try.

mshen
01-02-2010, 01:58 AM

i know if you got it from online, there's no price tag. anyway, i had no problem returning online purchases to Gap without the price tag. though they were new and only tried on.
________
HOTBOX VAPORIZERS (http://www.vaporshop.com/hotbox-vaporizer.html)

kayte
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM

You can return things that came from Amazon to Amazon without a receipt and they won't notify the sender. From the returns page send them a note describing the item, along with the sender's name, address and email. They will find the order number and you can send it back for credit.