PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Transitions (glasses) lenses?

Twin Mom
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I have to buy my glasses this week to use up my FSA money and I'm not sure if it is worthwhile to get the Transitions lenses or not so I was hoping to get some quick input. Fwiw, I'm a nighttime only glasses wearer b/c I wear contacts during the day so my daytime use of the glasses will probably be infrequent. If you have Transitions lenses do you like them? Are you glad you got them? Thanks for your help.

ohiomom1121
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
A friend of mine always wears them and I can't say I like the look. They have a weird brownish tint to them. Very obvious that they are Transition lenses. I can't imagine wearing them but some people swear by them. She is a full time wearer though so I guess it makes more sense. I definitely wouldn't if you are usually just wearing them at night...then you'll have that weird tint all the time for no reason! Just my 2 cents. :)

3blackcats
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
My MIL has them. What she doesn't like is the fact that they don't darken when in the car, so she has to wear a pair of sunglasses over her transition glasses.

egoldber
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
What she doesn't like is the fact that they don't darken when in the car

:yeahthat: Made them basically useless IMO. I know others that like theirs though, but I am much happier with prescription sunglasses. But if you're not going to be wearing them during the day, I don't really see the point honestly.

Reyadawnbringer
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
DH has the transitions lenses and we don't like them because they really don't darken much. They darken enough to be noticable when people take your picture, but not enough to keep the sun out of your eyes like sunglasses.

Also, DH doesn't like that they don't darken at all unless you are in direct sunlight.

Not worth the money IMO, especially since you will only be wearing them at night.

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I still like the idea of them but I regret having them in the frames I got them in, they look awful. If I had gotten them in my dark framed glasses they would have looked more like sunglasses than my metal frame ones do. And no they don't darken in the car which was the point of getting them for me!

Also, one of my lenses never quite goes back to clear, it's only
noticeable if I point it out to people but I know it's there!

Gena
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
DS and I both have Transitions lenses and I love them for both of us. We both wear glasses full-time and we both have the clear-to-grey tint, which I think looks nicer than the clear-to-brown.

In the past, I have tried having seperate pairs of clear lenses and prescription sunglasses. I've also tried using a sunglasses clip on my regular glasses. In both cases it was something extra to carry around, keep track off, lose, etc. And it was a hassle to always be fussing with the clip or another pair of glasses, especially while wrangling an infant/toddler. Often I would forget them, or misplace them and get a terrible headache from being out in bright sunlight. The transitons lenses work great for me. They are no hassle, no fuss, and no effort on my part. Most of the time, I don't even notice when they change; I just see clearly in all lighting. The only drawback is, as others have mentione, is that they do not work in the car. (Although I believe Transitions is working on a new type of lens that will.) So I keep a pair of sunblockers that fit over my glasses in the car.

The Transitions lenses work great for DS too. He has been wearing glasses since he was 2 and has had Transitions lenses since he was 3. DS is extremely photophobic due to his albinism (a genetic condition which causes him to have very little protective pigment in his skin, hair, and eyes). Before he had Transitions lenses he always covered his eyes with his hands when he was outside. Now he can run and play outdoors and be comfortable in the sunlight. DS is too young to mess with sunglasses or clip ons, so Transitions are the best option for him.

zany
12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
this isn't transitions-specific, BUT i just had to share this website that has the most rediculously cheap priced eyeglasses EVER

i've ordered from them twice - you can't try them on so i get 2 pairs at a time in case i don't like one. they're so cheap (they start at $9 for a pair - NINE DOLLARS - and YES that includes lenses!) and yes i think they're pretty nice looking and have a pretty large selection considering how cheap they are.

for me they end up being $25 for 2 pairs including shipping.

www.zennioptical.com

found out about this just by complimenting an acquaintence on her glasses once and she told me about the site.

i think they might offer transitions too (that would be extra $ of course but still probably way cheaper than the regular stores)

smiles33
12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I have them, too, even though I *was* primarily a CL wearer who only wore glasses right before bed. Then I had my second DD and was home on maternity leave so I left my glasses on all day and it turns out I LOVE my glasses. I got the super light Silhouette frames with the Transition lenses and they work best for walks to the park or any activity outside where you're not in the car. They depend on UV light to transition, so even if the sun is shining right in your eyes, the car windshield is blocking the UV light. Now, I only wear my contacts to work (just because I'm a little vain at work!).

If you have the money in a FSA and have to spend it, I'd go for the Transition lensesif you think you might ever wear glasses on the weekends.

niccig
12-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah that to everything Gena said. I never had my prescription sunglasses when I needed them, that was a pain. My go from clear to dark. I was out snow blowing the driveway and both DH and I looked like we had sunglasses. We came inside and had to take them off as now too dark - they take a few moments to transtition back. I rarely notice the time to switch, but I did today, so that's another negative. I think I look OK in them, but maybe not!