PDA

View Full Version : Questions for slow-cooker pros...

TwinFoxes
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to use my slow cooker more often. I have a couple of basic questions.

1) Do you get better results cooking on low or on high? Or is it about the same (I SAH so I can start it whenever).

2) Should I stir during the cooking? How often?

3) The recipes always seem bland to me. Is this common with slow cooker recipes, or is it just the ones I've been using?

TIA! Any other tips are appreciated. :)

bubbaray
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I much prefer using the low setting. Never stir or otherwise open the lid during cooking, except as directed in the recipe. If no comment, do not open the lid.

Just add extra spices if you want. I too have found many recipes bland.

ray7694
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Best results for me come when it cooks on low all day, but if I am crunched for time I will occasionally cook on high for 3-4 hours. You shouldn't need to take the lid off as it causes the crock to loose heat. I would only stir once if necessary.

My favs:

4 chicken breasts--1/2 cup water--drain--add bbq for BBQ chicken
Turkey breast with Italian dressing
Pork chops with a can of cream of mushroom
Cut up beef with can of cream of chicken and packet of dry onion soup--serve over rice or noodles

Lots of recipes on www.crock-pot.com

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I use the different levels for cooking different things - a pot roast I would do low but a casserole I would probably do high if I didn't need to use either setting based on an actual timetable. I do stir mine occasionally but I lift the lid off really careful and put it back on fairly quick. I like to ensure even cooking so I couldn't just leave it alone!

I think the recipes are designed to suit the blandest of pallates and they assume you will adjust to your liking. That's what I do.

daisymommy
12-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Agreed! I have read that each time you remove the lid to stir, you lose enough heat that it takes another HOUR of cooking time! Not sure how accurate that is, but I know it's a no-no!

And I always do everything on low, because it allows the flavors a longer time to develop for better flavor, and any meat/poultry you are cooking becomes much more tender and moist (which can be a huge money saver since you can buy cheap, tough cuts of meat that in slow-cooker become very tender and yummy!).

egoldber
12-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I do think that low is the way to go.

FWIW, I am a stirrer. :) I think things cook more evenly, there is less opportunity for one part to get overcooked, etc. I have not noticed it making things take longer, but even if they do, it's a slow cooker, right? ;)

hellokitty
12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree with the others to stick with the low setting. It seems that the newer crock pots all tend to overcook everything now and the low setting doesn't seem to be as low as it used to be. However, with that said, I've pretty much given up on my slowcooker. My recipes always ended up tasting soggy and bland. I'm all about the pressure cooker! Quick, easy and things tastes great.

egoldber
12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I use my slow cooker mainly for roasts, soups, stews and pulled chicken and pork. Things that really can't overcook. I've tried a few other things with mixed results.

ETA: I also use it to cook beans.

clc053103
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I never knew that about removing the lid....I stir and taste test too. Oops!

Currently I have white bean chicken chili in there. Looking good so far! the best tip I've read recently is that for things where you want the veggies not too soggy (like peppers for chili or fajitas) don't add until the last hour or so of cooking.

I also tend to add extra seasoning.