PDA

View Full Version : Calling all car experts: Please help us find a vehicle!

ourbabygirl
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
The lease is coming up on our small sedan this spring, and I'd really like to get an SUV or possibly a larger wagon (though I'd rather have a vehicle built on a truck base). Right now my top pick is a Honda Pilot, but we're also planning to test drive a RAV-4, a Highlander, and a Sequoia (DH likes those, but I'm afraid it's too $ and way too big).

Could you make other suggestions to add to our list? We've got a few months to research and test drive, so luckily it's not an immediate need. But DH is off of work this week so we're trying to squeeze in some visits to the dealerships while he has time and we have plenty of snow (for me to see how they handle in snow & ice).

Here's what I'd like:

*not brand new (I'd like an '07 or '08, but is there a model you'd avoid from one of those years?)
*leather & heated seats (I've had both since high school & have gotten spoiled. And I find leather is easier to take care of with kids & me spilling things.)
*tinted windows (I assume most SUVs have this in the back windows?)
*plenty of room for DD's MA (rf) and future car seats
*AWD or 4WD, though we'll probably also get snow tires as DH thinks that's what makes a big difference
*"good" gas mileage (is this possible?) The sales guy we talked to when driving the Pilot today says it gets around 20/21 mpg.
*NOT mid-grade or premium gas
*possible third row seating, though is it even worth it when it seems so cramped in a lot of these cars? Even in the Pilot, the back/ trunk door is *right* there, and it doesn't seem so safe to have a kid back there. Are they safe enough in a rear-end collision?
*great looks, of course :wink2: Sad to say, but this is really important to me! :)

**I like Hondas and Toyotas for safety, reliability, low cost of repair, and number of places around us where we could get it serviced. I also have some friends & relatives with a Pilot, a RAV-4, and a Highlander.

If you've made it to this point, thanks for sticking with me and thanks in advance for your help! :cheerleader1:

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing you're not Ford types, but I drive a 2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, it has everything you listed and my average gas mileage is between 25 and 28 depending on how much city driving I do. I've put 19,000 miles on it in almost 2 years and it hasn't needed any work other than the regular services and oil
changes.

We had looked at the Rav4 (driven a friends and like it esp the back door), the Nissan Rogue (felt cramped to drive and rear window was way too small), Nissan Murano (just too expensive) and the Chevy Equinox (we had gotten one as a rental and liked it). In the end the Escape came in way cheaper and had most of what we liked of the others.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Just wondering if you really need a large car? 1 child, maybe more in the future? I don't think I'd want to drive around all the time in a car that could fit 6 if I am just a family of 3. kwim? It could be total overkill with gas and bulk. But, I admit that my family of 4 is totally ok in our Civic so I am small car biased. :) I think sedans rock and if you are only planning 2 kids it might be worth broadening your search to other sedans like the Civic, Camry or Accord. :)

Mazda 5 is on my list b/c I'd like to be able to carpool with ds1's friends. Waiting for a 2010 model b/c of the ESC...also waiting for our Civic to die. :)

Beth

Clarity
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
GM in the family here so that's what I typically drive. I was glad to see that GM vehicles topped the USNews recs:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-SUVs/

KrisM
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Just wondering if you really need a large car? 1 child, maybe more in the future? I don't think I'd want to drive around all the time in a car that could fit 6 if I am just a family of 3. kwim? It could be total overkill with gas and bulk. But, I admit that my family of 4 is totally ok in our Civic so I am small car biased. :) I think sedans rock and if you are only planning 2 kids it might be worth broadening your search to other sedans like the Civic, Camry or Accord. :)

Mazda 5 is on my list b/c I'd like to be able to carpool with ds1's friends. Waiting for a 2010 model b/c of the ESC...also waiting for our Civic to die. :)

Beth

:yeahthat:

Our family of 5 is in a Malibu Maxx. While there are times I would love something bigger to seperate the kids a bit, I think of all the inconveniences it would cause and am happy with my little car :).

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
My Escape is shorter and narrower than our Fusion sedan. But it's way more spacious inside. Bizarre I know! And putting an infant seat in without having to bend down is awesome...

But we did have a Taurus before that so maybe my judgement is clouded!

bubbaray
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd add the CR-V to your list. It is a REALLY nice vehicle and gets great gas mileage, plus it can get 3-across in the 2nd row for car seats -- the RAV-4 can NOT (only fits 2 car seats). I also really liked the Subaru Forester and the Outback, but would only look at those if you for sure know you won't need 3 across.

Babymakes3
12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I LOOOOOVE my Nissan Armada! If your checking out the Sequoia definitely check out the Armada too!

sdjeppa
12-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I have a 2003 Highlander and have had no issues at all with it other than regular maintenance. Mine does not have the third row, but I wish it did. I know someone who does and it does come in handy sometimes, even though it is small. I can also easily fit 3 carseats in the backseat. It is supposed to get 20/24 mileage, but I find I get closer to 18-20 real life driving.

Jenny, Mommy to Z 9-27-03 and #2 due June 2010

purpleeyes
12-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd add the CR-V to your list. It is a REALLY nice vehicle and gets great gas mileage, plus it can get 3-across in the 2nd row for car seats -- the RAV-4 can NOT (only fits 2 car seats).

I was going to post this! ;)

I had a 2000 Cr-V, loved it. I just recently traded in a 2008 highlander for the 2010 cr-v and I am SO happy I did. It is great!

Tondi G
12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
My DH has a Mazda CX7 and we have been very happy with the vehicle. It fits our family of 4 fine! The back seat is tight with 3 but can be done (I have squeezed between my DS and my little guys MA). Mazda also makes the CX9 which comes with a 3rd row. I drive a Dodge Durango with a 3rd row and we have used it A TON. Now that DS is having friends overnight etc it is really convenient to pop up the 3rd row and have enough seating for more friends/family!

kcandz
12-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry if this is a hijack, but is the CR-V louder or quieter than the Highlander as far as road noise? I am considering both right now. I had a Honda Civic before, and it was so loud on the freeways. I heard the CR-V is built from a Civic template.

sariana
12-29-2009, 01:35 AM
I had a Honda Accord for about ten years, and I will NEVER buy another Honda. Total lemon.

I am also turned off of Toyota because of all the safety issues turning up, and all the cover-up being revealed.

We have a Mazda CX-9 and like it pretty well. Our lease is up soon, and we won't be replacing it right away. In fact, we're planning to break the lease early because DH has been deployed overseas. We don't need two cars while he's gone. But I am not looking foward to switching to his Mazda 3. I love having all that space, and I don't think we can put DD's seat RF in his car. (She's almost 2 but small.)

We went to the LA auto show a few weeks ago and came away more confused than before. We now have NO IDEA what vehicle to get next.

I agree with PP who wondered whether you need a large SUV with only one child. We have two DC, and the CX-9 is overkill for us. It has been nice when we needed to take along more people, but that has been pretty rare. We could have taken separate cars those few times with less ill effect on the environment than driving the CX-9 all the time. It gets pretty poor gas mileage (~15 mpg for day-to-day driving). But I do love having all that space because I am a slob.