PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Sales?

shawnandangel
12-28-2009, 09:30 PM
My Stroller Strides group sent me info about an upscale consignment sale. This sale will only take brands like HA, Gymbo, Bodin ect. You cannot consign Old Navy, Oskosh, Children's Place ect.

I am thinking about consigning all of DD's summer Gymbo stuff but am at a loss at how to price it. The website says 50-75% off of retail. This is an upscale sale so I'm wondering if I can get more than at a normal sale :bag.

So for a Gymbo dress that normally retailed around $32 how much would you consign for?

What about a tshirt and pant set which would normally retail at about $40?

I have never consigned anything before. The closest I get to really selling stuff is at a garage sale and I haven't done one of those in years.

TIA

MamaMolly
12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
For the Gymbo dress in question, *if* it were in really great shape (no pilling, laundry fading, holes, etc) then I'd maybe pay up to $10. But it would have to be in great shape, or even better have some of the accessories like hairbows, socks, etc. to go with it. The thing about Gymbo resale in general is that so many folks can work the sales, the COF and the Gymbucks that I'm usually pretty suspicious about the actual retail costs. Not in your specific case, but when I see Gymbo on consignment in general, I mean.

I shop mostly used for DD's clothes. For a cute Gymbo t-shirt and knit pants set I usually pay between $7 and $14 depending on condition. I've paid up to $20-$25 for a pair of embroidered jeans, top and sweater set.

HA is tricky because the consignment shops in my area super over price it IMO. I won't pay $15 for a used HA dress, but I have paid $12 for the dress, leggings and socks (in a size DD should fit into next year, and I've had it a year, but HA is classic and it was a D.E.A.L. ;)) Usually the dresses and leggings sets are marked about $20. I got really lucky that day and was willing to buy ahead in size.

As for you getting more $$$ at an upscale consignment sale (a reasonable and fair question! No bag necessary!) , personally I'd expect to pay more if there were only better brands there. But I'd be a bear about condition.

dukie41181
12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
As far as pricing, I think that 25% of retail (so 75% off retail) would be realistic, IMHO. I tend to think that those who shop consignment sales are looking for just that, a great sale and on top of that, they tend to shop for great sales in retail stores too. Having said that, people can probably (fairly easily) get 50% off retail from a store for a new item and thus 50% off a used item wouldn't be all that great of a deal. I do think that taking your upscale items to this particular consignment sale will bring more $ than a regular consignment sale though and you will get more for it than otherwise...merely from your "audience"...no shame in wondering that! I would definately think about it too!

jenandahalf
12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
When I price my old purses for Ebay I consider what I'd be willing to pay if I were the one buying it used and go by that.

brittone2
12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
The other thing to look at is what happens if the item doesn't sell. Can you pick it up afterward? Is that convenient? Do you want to be bothered? If not, then price aggressively so it will definitely sell, kwim?

I shop a huge local consignment sale and $10 for a $32 gymbo dress would be pushing it for me...it would have to be something I *love*. At $6-8 I'd be more inclined to bite.

I think 25% of retail is a good starting point, but take into consideration condition, how old the line/item is, and also what happens if the item doesn't sell at your price. Are you willing to pick it back up, etc.?

shawnandangel
12-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Another question. At this sale if I volunteer I get 80% of my earnings. Is that good? What percentage to consigners usually get of their earnings?

I think pricing a dress at $8 sounds good because there is a half off day on the last day of the sale and I don't think I would be willing to part for less than $4 for most of them!

mom2binsd
12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I think the others are right, nobody ever really pays the retail price for Gymbo...I think 12 or 15 if it's a really special dress, like one of the Easter/Special Occasion in perfect condition but a cute summer gymbo dress I'd price for about 8.00 (if you've got bows you can get a bit more).

I think the more upscale brands/less available brands that are found in boutiques, or from Chasing Fireflies etc you could expect to get more, but gymbo is pretty common. Brands like Oilily, CachCach, Lipstik, Beetlejuice, Room Seven, Lily Pulitzer, Juicy, Biscotti, would fetch higher prices.

The thing is though, with ebay the market is saturated with used clothing, I've gotten major deals on high end girls clothing recently. I would like to shop that sale, we never get anything exciting at our consignment sale, but I do pick up lots of great school clothes for my DC's for little $$$, and make a lot selling our overabundance of clothing!

shawnandangel
12-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty excited to shop this sale. I'm hoping to find some HA playdresses for DD. I got one for her this last HA sale and I love how soft and comfy they are!

DietCokeLover
12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=shawnandangel;2577104]Another question. At this sale if I volunteer I get 80% of my earnings. Is that good? What percentage to consigners usually get of their earnings?QUOTE]

I participate in a twice a year consignment sale where I pay $7 to participate and earn 70% of my earnings.