PDA

View Full Version : Shrank new Eileen Fisher cardigan

maylips
12-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I hate myself sometimes.

I was at my parents' house over the holidays and accidentally threw my FAVORITE, new, EXPENSIVE designer cardigan in the washer. And of course it shrank. Not enough to completely ruin it; just enough so when I put it on, it doesn't feel or look the same as it did before.

Naturally, all of my $10 Old Navy cardigans are doing great.

If you have suggestions on if I can save the cardigan, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, please join me in my pity party.

MamaMolly
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Ouch. owie ouch ouch. :kisscheek:

:54:

I'm awfully sorry. I've BTDT. The only thing I can think to try might be hand washing it and trying to reshape it and dry flat. But it would be an absolute last resort.

edurnemk
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh I feel your pain. Just today the cleaning lady accidentally threw a sweater dress that I love in the washer and then the dryer and it shrank so much it looks like a girl's sweater. It is useless now and it was not cheap. We're trying the hand washing and reshaping suggestion, I'll let you know if it works.

C99
12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
oooooohhhh! I am sorry. Those are so pretty and so spendy. I'd be mad at myself too. I am sorry for your loss.

sariana
12-29-2009, 01:52 AM
I remember reading a long time ago that soaking a wool sweater in baby shamnpoo (I think it was specifcally Johnson's, but I'm not sure) somehow releases the fibers and can salvage a shrunken sweater. I don't know if this would help in your case (is it even wool?). I have never tried it, so I don't know if there is any validity to this advice.

I'm sorry about your sweater.

SammyeGail
12-29-2009, 03:15 AM
I remember reading a long time ago that soaking a wool sweater in baby shamnpoo (I think it was specifcally Johnson's, but I'm not sure) somehow releases the fibers and can salvage a shrunken sweater. I don't know if this would help in your case (is it even wool?). I have never tried it, so I don't know if there is any validity to this advice.

I'm sorry about your sweater.

I'm so sorry, that sucks!! I would try the above and stretch it all over (sleeves, from shoulder to hem, sides to center) several times as it is laid flat to dry.

I've done the stretch all over thing before. Its tedious to get it all even, but thats life I guess. Keep checking it to make sure it is still 'stretched' out. It may look lumpy when its all dry, but a very low heat iron will help that, inside out, (maybe several times) and you might need some starch. (can't remember, its been a while since I've done it) I don't know what the material is, I really hope you get your sweater back!

gatorsmom
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
If it still fits, wear it. Wear it around the house, over other shirts, while you are busy doing things, while you are just sitting around, etc. If the sweater hasn't shrunk too much, then it will stretch out considerably by just daily wear. And try to avoid washing it between wearings, if possible, until it's stretched out a lot. and then make sure to dry clean it from now on! This has worked for me several times before. gl!