PDA

View Full Version : What to buy at TRU?

KrisM
12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I have $20 in TRU rewards and a $10 gift card that expire on 12/31. I need nothing. I am stocked for birthday gifts from the Amazon deals. My kids are stocked. I don't want to buy clothes, since they're pretty expensive, IMO.

Any ideas on how to spend $30 this week?

egoldber
12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Any extensions that you can buy to things you already own? Thomas cars, Leapster/DS games, furniture for dollhouses, etc.

You could always get Playdoh, art supplies, etc.

Books, DVDs, CDs.....

KrisM
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Any extensions that you can buy to things you already own? Thomas cars, Leapster/DS games, furniture for dollhouses, etc.

You could always get Playdoh, art supplies, etc.

Books, DVDs, CDs.....

I had thought of Leapster games, but Amazon had enough for so cheap, that I have some put away for down the road already. I don't want to pay $25 for one :).

But, maybe an accessory for the Swan Princess Palace for DD would work. I could put it away for Easter or something.

I'd get a DVD if I could come up with an idea of what to look for. Any suggestions? We have Netflix and have bought a lot of the Disney ones on Ebay, so I'm not sure what we need.

Our TRU has a really small book area. Terrible. Mostly coloring books and board books. It always bums me out when I think I can get one there to add onto a gift or something.

Melaine
12-29-2009, 09:21 AM
I had thought of Leapster games, but Amazon had enough for so cheap, that I have some put away for down the road already. I don't want to pay $25 for one :).

Email from TRU this morning says Leapster Games are BOGO.

lchang25000
12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Diapers/wipes for DS2 if he's not potty trained? BRU/TRU usually have diaper coupons on their website.

LD92599
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Household needs - paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, laundry detergent!

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Diapers/wipes for DS2 if he's not potty trained? BRU/TRU usually have diaper coupons on their website.

Couldn't find any coupons, but that's a good idea.

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Household needs - paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, laundry detergent!

So darn expensive there! But, it's "free" money, so I could do that...if I could make myself spend that amount!

Jen841
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Games - for you or the kids (we needed a new Scrabble game last year since the kids found ours)
Outdoor stuff for warm weather - can you have enough balls and bubble stuff? I don't think so. Bases are a treasured item at our house with the boy and the girls
Do you Geo Trak? You can always add to your sets
Legos? I know they are not always the best price, but this is a sense is a freebie
Upgrade your sippy cups?
What about a kid size comfy chair, I have seen those there
Scooter(s) - We upgraded to the Razor Cruiser there and it is the envy of all other kids
Music - new tunes are always fun for dancing around
Ball pit/ball pit balls - they now carry these there, wish that was the case 4 years ago!
Matchbox race track - always a hit with the boys and girls that visit our house
Table and chairs for the kids - my kids sit at their table for crafts daily

Have fun! Treat yourself and your family for something fun to do. Create a 'snow day' box, gather things for a game night and/or a movie night.

mariza
12-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm suprised to hear that clothing at TRU is considered expensive. I have a Carters outlet nearby and generally find that I can get Carter's PJ's at TRU for the same or less than the outlet. How about socks, underwear, DVD's or household items like baby shampoo? My TRU has started carrying laundry detergent, snack items (like crackers, goldfish, etc). Not sure your DC's ages but maybe outdoor sports equipment, kick balls?

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Games - for you or the kids (we needed a new Scrabble game last year since the kids found ours)
Outdoor stuff for warm weather - can you have enough balls and bubble stuff? I don't think so. Bases are a treasured item at our house with the boy and the girls
Do you Geo Trak? You can always add to your sets
Legos? I know they are not always the best price, but this is a sense is a freebie
Upgrade your sippy cups?
What about a kid size comfy chair, I have seen those there
Scooter(s) - We upgraded to the Razor Cruiser there and it is the envy of all other kids
Music - new tunes are always fun for dancing around
Ball pit/ball pit balls - they now carry these there, wish that was the case 4 years ago!
Matchbox race track - always a hit with the boys and girls that visit our house
Table and chairs for the kids - my kids sit at their table for crafts daily

Have fun! Treat yourself and your family for something fun to do. Create a 'snow day' box, gather things for a game night and/or a movie night.

The problem with having 3 kids is that we have it all :). We have the table/chairs, the toddler comfy chair, the ball pit, Hot Wheels and Matchbox, Geo Trax and Thomas, DS got Legos for Christmas and I have mroe put away already.

The kids are past the sippy cup stage, except for the car.

But, bases is interesting. We don't have that. We actually do have enough balls and bubbles - 4 unopened jugs of bubbles from Kmart clearance, 3 soccer balls, many tennis balls, etc.

And, we do need new sand box stuff, as a lot got tossed this fall because they were old and cracking. That is a great idea and if they have it in stores already, I will look for that.

I don't remember seeing music CDs at my store. Where are they? Someone else mentioned that as well.
Thanks for the great list!

hellokitty
12-29-2009, 10:23 AM
If I were you I'd stock up on non-toys if you already have all of that stuff. Detergent, snacks, wrapping paper, DVDs/CDs, etc.. I hate how TRU gives you SUCH a short window of time to use TRU points, it's ridiculous. I had to do the same thing, hurry up and buy something, but luckily this was pre-Christmas, so I was able to use it toward a larger purchase of trio for my boys.

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
If I were you I'd stock up on non-toys if you already have all of that stuff. Detergent, snacks, wrapping paper, DVDs/CDs, etc.. I hate how TRU gives you SUCH a short window of time to use TRU points, it's ridiculous. I had to do the same thing, hurry up and buy something, but luckily this was pre-Christmas, so I was able to use it toward a larger purchase of trio for my boys.

Yeah, they came in the mail on Saturday. I get a whopping 5 days to use them. I have more, but they can't be used until 1/1 and expire on 1/10. I wish I could at least combine them and buy a carseat or something :).

They limit how many points you can get, give you half points for sale things, and then make it really hard to spend them. I want to just say it's not worth it, you know.

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
They have pretty good food things there so I'd do that. Or batteries. :) Rechargeable batteries or regular. Birthday cards, birthday wrapping paper, bike helmets...

Beth

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
They have pretty good food things there so I'd do that. Or batteries. :) Rechargeable batteries or regular. Birthday cards, birthday wrapping paper, bike helmets...

Beth

What food things? Mine has candy and baby food, but nothing else? If others have more selection I can drive a bit further for a better selection.

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Mine has cereal, soup, crackers, boxed mac and cheese...it's like a full on mini grocery store filled with kid targeted food. But they have good brands like Earth's Best and Kashi among others. The section just opened a few months ago.

Beth

egoldber
12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I was going to say, I've never seen groceries at my TRU other than a VERY slim selection of baby food and snacks!

The CDs are in the same section as the DVDs. Usually they have their own separate (smaller) display.

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Mine has cereal, soup, crackers, boxed mac and cheese...it's like a full on mini grocery store filled with kid targeted food. But they have good brands like Earth's Best and Kashi among others. The section just opened a few months ago.

Beth

Huh. I don't think any of mine have that, but will have to check!

lchang25000
12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Couldn't find any coupons, but that's a good idea.

Here you go!
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/media/trus/122609bb-cpns.pdf

I don't buy any household stuff/food products there except formula and baby food. Too pricy and I feel like I'm wasting my "rewards" money. Diapers and wipes are great deals if you have coupons. You can also use manufacturers coupons on top of the BRU/TRU coupons above to save even more!

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Get your DH a Havoc Heli (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3780306)(copter)!!! Mine is so totally psyched to put the DC in bed then get out his Heli for 10 min. before starting chores :)

SERIOUSLY, he will be thrilled!

KrisM
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Here you go!
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/media/trus/122609bb-cpns.pdf

I don't buy any household stuff/food products there except formula and baby food. Too pricy and I feel like I'm wasting my "rewards" money. Diapers and wipes are great deals if you have coupons. You can also use manufacturers coupons on top of the BRU/TRU coupons above to save even more!

Thank you!

KrisM
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Get your DH a Havoc Heli (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3780306)(copter)!!! Mine is so totally psyched to put the DC in bed then get out his Heli for 10 min. before starting chores :)

SERIOUSLY, he will be thrilled!

looks fun!

mariza
12-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Batteries? Always needed and maybe you could find some manufacturers coupons for them.

KrisM
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I bought diapers :). Ended up paying $48 and getting a $10 gc for 2 boxes of Pampers.