PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for VA (or other) beach vacation?

TamiRuns
12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
It's in the single digits (with wind chill) and I'm dreaming of summer vacation....

We are looking to vacation somewhere A) family friendly (boys will be 3 & 5 at vacation time) B) on the beach (without ocean views is fine like in a condo setting) and C) within an 8 hour drive of western PA.

We're thinking Sandbridge Beach...someplace like the Sanctuary Resort. Anyone been there or have other suggestion?

Cost is a consideration so we are flexible when we can travel as long as the weather is warm enough to hang on the beach and/or at the pool.

We vacationed in South Carolina last year and the drive was just a bit too far - we divided it up over 2 days but I don't want to do that again.

Thanks!

Hawkeyewife
12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
We lived in the Hampton Roads area for 4 years (and will be returning in 2010) and I LOVE Sandbridge, though honestly, I don't go there with my little ones since I found the waves to be a little too much for them. It is close to the Aquarium (which is really nice) and a water park (though I haven't been there) along with being a reasonable distance to stores and restaurants.

Since we are a military family, we usually go to the beach at Ft Story up on the North End where the bay meets the ocean, the water is calmer. There is a roped off area and lifegaurd on the beach. The cottages there are nice as well. If you have somebody with your group that can reserve/get you on base I would reccommend Ft Story.

http://www.capehenryinn.com/

I hope you are having fun planning your vacation and have a great time this summer!

egoldber
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I love VA Beach, but it can be very crowded in mid summer. We have gone in late June (the weekend just after the local schools got out) and also the last week in August.

The last week of August/first week of September is nice because many schools are already back in session and the crowds are low but everything is still open. It can be a little rsiky though because it is high hurricane season.

Late June is a nice compromise and usually plenty warm.

ETA: We visited Cape Henry last year when we were in VA Beach. I didn't think the beach was that nice, but maybe we were not in the right area. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Dewey Beach? eta- we have gone a few times late August when family rents a house. They are almost in Indian beach proper. It's very residential and as a result the beaches are spacious and nice. You have to drive for boardwalk and other activities but it's not too far away.

Beth

egoldber
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
As another caution, the traffic in and out of VA Beach can be truly awful in the summer. We usually prefer to stay in a hotel in VA Beach vs one of the rental units to avoid the week long rental requirements. We prefer to spend 2 less days at the beach rather than spend those other 2 days in bumper to bumper traffic all the way down 95 and across on 64.

Coming from western PA, you can avoid the 95 corridor, which I would certainly do. But even 64 can be a mess.

TamiRuns
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
As another caution, the traffic in and out of VA Beach can be truly awful in the summer. We usually prefer to stay in a hotel in VA Beach vs one of the rental units to avoid the week long rental requirements. We prefer to spend 2 less days at the beach rather than spend those other 2 days in bumper to bumper traffic all the way down 95 and across on 64.

Coming from western PA, you can avoid the 95 corridor, which I would certainly do. But even 64 can be a mess.

The traffic is something I've heard can be terrible....and could be a deal breaker. The thought of sitting in traffic for hours is not appealing at all. That was one great thing about S.C.- long drive but we never sat in traffic. Might have to rethink our destination...Open to suggestions!

Thanks for all the input!

egoldber
12-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't mean to scare you :), but the traffic is a real concern.

But if you avoid 95 you avoid the worst of it.

TamiRuns
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't mean to scare you :), but the traffic is a real concern.

But if you avoid 95 you avoid the worst of it.

LOL! Beth, you didn't scare me....you just reminded me of the traffic- which does scare me a bit!

Is the traffic just bad all the time or is it a weekend thing or a vacation season thing? Just curious....I'm clueless about that area.....