PDA

View Full Version : Tools to encourage reading, love of alphabet

NewMom2007
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
DS is really into letters and has been for the past couple of months (he's not quite 3). He sings the ABCs repeatedly, plays with letter puzzles and notes every letter he sees all the time (it's amazing for me to witness this recognition). We want to continue to encourage this and begin working with DS to put letters together into words and start recognizing words. I'd love any suggestions or resources to assist.

In the meantime, I'm going to stock up on magnetic letters (we have none) and make simple labels for some things around the house (similar to how daycare is set up). I also need to brush up on my sign language b/c he's ahead of me on that - he learns the sign with each letter in daycare....I found some great pics online, but need to print them out and learn them.

We want to encourage him while keeping this fun and low pressure.

Thanks!

ray7694
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
A really good dvd is the Letter Factory. Coming from an educator it is very well done.

craftysierra
12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
My kids love the website starfall.

citymama
12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
BTW Michael's has magnetic letters for $1 in the bins near checkout - one set has just 26, but you can buy a couple.

I find that Dr Seuss books are great, and any books with simple words preferably in all caps. My DD is just starting to recognize words, and we find that books like "In the Night Kitchen" and "Hop on Pop" are great for encouraging that.

wellyes
12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I've found that having a book display shelf (covers facing out) instead of a traditional bookshelf (spines facing out) really helped LOs get engaged in books since they can see the pictures/colors.
http://daycarefurnitureplus.com/images/wooddesigns/WD14300.jpg
I got mine online from a daycare supply store, or you can make your own cheaply..... google "rain gutter bookshelf".

AnnieW625
12-29-2009, 05:01 PM
best gift I got DD was a set of bilingual flash cards a year ago for Christmas. DD plays with them a lot and they have both objects, and letters. I got them at Target. Repetition is also great, esp. with worksheets from teacher supply stores; this is what they do at DD's daycare.

NewMom2007
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
A really good dvd is the Letter Factory. Coming from an educator it is very well done.

Thanks! Just put it on hold at the library...we should have it soon.

BTW Michael's has magnetic letters for $1 in the bins near checkout - one set has just 26, but you can buy a couple.

Thanks! I'll stop by there and stock up. DS loves these at school.

I've found that having a book display shelf (covers facing out) instead of a traditional bookshelf (spines facing out) really helped LOs get engaged in books since they can see the pictures/colors.
http://daycarefurnitureplus.com/images/wooddesigns/WD14300.jpg
I got mine online from a daycare supply store, or you can make your own cheaply..... google "rain gutter bookshelf".

I've been looking at these - definitely want a wood one for his room. What I like about the one you posted is you can see all the titles. I looked at some canvas shelves and they were too deep and covered up much of the book covers. Is this the shelf you purchased?

deannanb
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Just wanted to add that DS really liked this DVD!

wimama
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM

My kids love the website starfall.

A big yes to both of these suggestions. My DS watched Letter Factory every day for a week and then could tell me what sound every letter makes. He now has four of the Leapfrog DVDs. The Letter Factory is super and then the Word Factory is the next video I would recommend. We have lots of the Leapfrog products.

DS loves, loves, loves Starfall. And, it is free!

LexyLou
12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, yes to Letter Factory and Starfall!

We just got our 4 year old the Leap Frog Tag. Super cool. Also got our 2 year old the Tag Junior. Haven't opened it yet, but looks great for pre-reading.

jenandahalf
12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
We got our daughter a Letter Factory pc game, partly because she loves reading and words but also to improve her computer skills for kindergarten, I was surprised to see how much they do at that age.

mommylamb
12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
We have these magnetic letters and numbers and DS LOVES them. http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Magnetic-Letters-Numbers/dp/B000PXVO7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1262122727&sr=8-1 He has been obsessed with letters for about a year and you wouldn't believe how much he plays with these.

We also have the Leapfrog DVD set including the Letters Factory, and while he loves all those DVDs, I find them a bit annoying, though it's because he wants to "watch words" all the time.

egoldber
12-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Honestly, I think all you need to do is have plenty of books available, make reading with him a fun experience AND model to him that reading is something that you value.

wellyes
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I've been looking at these - definitely want a wood one for his room. What I like about the one you posted is you can see all the titles. I looked at some canvas shelves and they were too deep and covered up much of the book covers. Is this the shelf you purchased?

Mine's this one - smaller than the one I picturd, but just $110 shipped. As far as I could tell, it's identical to the slightly more expensive GuideCraft that Amazon & TRU sells for $150+. I've been happy with it.

http://www.csnstores.com/Early-Childhood-Resources-ELR-0339-NY1240.html

Thatchermom
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
My sister has a master's in some title that I can't remember but equates to teaching early readers. She would tell you that all those things are fine and good ideas. Overall, with all of her education in the subject, her answer is READ. Read to him, all the time, and make sure he sees you reading. Make books a part of life often throughout the day, modeling a life built on reading. THAT is the best way to encourage reading!

Melbel
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I concur that lots of reading is the way to go. DS and DD1 also loved the LF Letter/Word Factory videos, along w/ an alphabet foam mat (recently $15 at Costco), foam letters in the bath, Dick & Jane books and a spiral book that allowed you to flip one letter at a time (i.e. changing mat to rat to hat to sat). Another book shelf option from PBK that we like:

DebbieJ
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Honestly, I think all you need to do is have plenty of books available, make reading with him a fun experience AND model to him that reading is something that you value.

:yeahthat: DH has read to DS1 almost every single day since he was a few months old and he was reading on his own before he entering kindergarten. Now he is a very good speller and is writing sentences while most of his class is still learning their letters.

deannanb
12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
you can also make a gutter bookshelf (google it for more websites)
here is a site with an example.
http://smallnotebook.org/2008/10/08/small-space-solutions-organizing-kids-toys/

schrocat
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I think the best thing to do is just read. Not for reading levels or whatever, but just for pleasure and to enjoy the book together. DS has been reading since he was 3. The only thing that I did was read to him and lots.

ett
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM

:yeahthat: We read tons of books with DS1 and he started reading when he was 4. I did nothing to teach him to read. I got a phonics book that I was going to work with him on reading together, only to realize that he could read it himself.