PDA

View Full Version : Car seat install question

mikeys_mom
12-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I was installing MIL's carseat that she has for DD#1 in her car tonight and I have a few question about the install.

The seat is an Evenflo Vision or Chase. It is being installed in the centre of her Camry with seatbelts. The car does not have LATCH, but does have a TT.

The seat moves a bit at the belt path, but for sure less than 1 inch. However, it does move probably more than 1 inch if I hold it at the front of the carseat and move it side to side. Also, if I try to pull the carseat forward by grasping under the front of the seat, it does slide forward a bit. Is this movement ok?

If not, any suggestion on how to get the install tighter? I pressed my knee into the seat and tried pushing the carseat back against the car as much as possible to get the belt tight.

I am pretty sure that in the past I was able to get a more solid install but it was just not happening tonight. Perhaps the dark and the -20 celcius cold were not helping.

Thanks.

Joolsplus2
12-30-2009, 09:28 AM
ONLY check for movement at the belt path. The fronts or tops of seats often wiggle a bit more than an inch, that's ok. When tightening, try to just grab the shoulderbelt at the buckle side and pull up to get the lapbelt super tight, that's the main thing you want tight, then lock the shoulderbelt, and the top tether does a lot to keep things in place after all that's done.

I'm sure it's fine, if you have Britaxes you just get used to mega solid installs with little effort because the base on them is so small...a bigger base on the Chase just gives more room for it to be loose at the front.