PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a bottle

emily
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
DS is about a month old and throws up/spits up terribly. I can see that he is really uncomfortable. Which bottle do you recommend we try. We're using Playtex dropins right now. Any good options other than Dr. Browns. I know Browns is good but that's my last resort because of all the extra pieces.

tia!

Dr C
12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
This is not terribly helpful, but I wouldn't recommend driving yourself crazy trying every bottle on the market, because unfortunately, your little dude is likely to spit like crazy no matter what bottle you use. The ones I've heard good things about (besides the dropins which we LOVE) are Avent and Dr. Browns. But neither is a miracle cure for spitting. I presume you're already keeping him upright after feeds, etc. If he were happy, I'd say just let him spit (and buy lots of burp rags), but since you say he's really uncomfortable, you may want to go see your ped--make sure he's still growing well despite the reflux, and discuss whether medication or a change in formula (or your diet if he is drinking EBM) might be helpful.

JBaxter
12-30-2009, 11:35 AM
buy a dr brown bottle ( or 2) really the parts arent bad. I bit the bullet and tried them and where it didnt take care of the whole problem it made a difference in the gas issues. The Dr Brown nipples are super soft and Jack latched on to them better than the harder avent or ventair nipples.

To wash the Dr Brown parts I just rinse and slip them over the prongs in my dish washer. I put the discs in the nipple basket. takes maybe 3 extra seconds.

Lmans77
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope you find something that works for you. My DD was a "happy spitter". She spit up a lot, and for many many months. She did whether she was being bottle-fed (at daycare) or whether I was BF her which she did whenever we were together. We tried Avent and Playtex, both of which she took just fine, but neither made a difference in how much she spit up.