PDA

View Full Version : Double check me- good plan or no?

JTsMom
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I posted about this a while back, but I have more info now, so I'm asking again. :) Sorry it's long- I'm going to try to simplify it.

-We need a second seat for DS so that we have one to be used very rarely in DH's car (95 Camry).

-We'll also need seats for the new baby. I want to start with an infant seat.

-We currently have a MA in our 09 Sienna- DOM= 3/28/05.

-DS is 4.5, right around 41-42", and weighs just shy of 40 lbs. He has recently started to slide down the chest clip on his seat, so he can lean forward for toys, etc. I'm all over it, but I don't trust him to sit properly in a booster, UNLESS locking the belt on him every time sounds like a good option (which I doubt). He still frequently naps in his seat.

-Safety is a bigger concern than budget (within reason of course).

So, yesterday we went and tried out both the Frontier, and the Nautilus. He and I both prefer the Frontier. I figure we can get that for the van, and move the MA to DH's car for now. When he outgrows it, we can re-evaluate, and maybe replace it with an inexpensive booster if he's ready at that point. Now, am I understanding correctly that the MA is not outgrown if his head goes above the shell? It's currently about even. There are two fingers width between the top of his shoulder, and the top slot for the harness. I can post a pic if it would help. Is that the only number that matters outside of the height/weight limits? How long do you think that will give us? I'm guessing a year, maybe a year and a half tops- at which point the seat will expire anyway.

For the baby, I'll probably start with either one of the high limit Gracos, or the Keyfit, but I haven't even started looking at those. That should give me about a year minimum, right? At that point, we can switch to a MA, or whatever is best at that time, then move on to the Frontier, which won't expire for 9 years from DOM, right? So if the baby is 4.5, he/she should have about 4 years in it, and by that point, DS won't need it b/c he'll be 9.5.

Does this all make sense? Is there something else I should do? Am I misunderstanding any of the limits? Thanks!

brittone2
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
We like our Frontier. DS just switched over a few months ago because we got a great deal w/ a price match to amazon at BB&B and then stacked a 20% off coupon. Like your DS, mine had a little room yet but we switched over just because we got a good deal. DS (almost 6) still rides harnessed and has no complaints so I've just been staying with that.

Joolsplus2
12-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Right, you can use the Marathon till the shoulders just barely creep above the top slots. My dd fit in hers for 8+ months after this picture was taken before her shoulders were clearly over the top slots by a mm or two all the time http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum/Sarah.aspx So yours'll probably last till it expires, for sure :)
We love our Frontier :thumbsup:

JTsMom
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys- I feel reassured now. :) Now I just have to figure out where to find a deal. What should I aim to pay for a Frontier? It's not like it's an emergency to get it or anything, but for convenience sake, I'd like to order sometime in the near future.

Beth, nice score on that BBB deal! :bowdown:

brittone2
12-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Beth, nice score on that BBB deal! :bowdown:

It was thanks to the mamas here of course :)

Now I'm stalking a good deal on the Keyfit and not having as much luck LOL. I think the best I can do is probably heading to Buy Buy Baby (one just opened nearby) and trying to use a 20% off coupon from BB&B I think (I have to double check they don't exclude Chicco).

Let me know if you see a deal on the keyfit ;)

JTsMom
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Definitely, and back at ya! We don't have a BBB here, unfortunately.

AnnieW625
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
We paid $260 including tax and using a 15% off BRUS coupon for our first Frontier last February. It was the best deal we could find then. When I had to buy the second one in September (I was in a small 5mph parking lot accident with DD in her Marathon; State Farm says since DD was in it it's no longer usuable:hopmad:, but at least SF will be reimbursing us for the Frontier) I paid $206 w/no sales tax and free shipping from Diapers.com. They had a special going on then. Honestly we've been very happy the seat that I even though I didn't get a great deal on the first one I no longer have a problem with paying $260 for it.

We are also looking at the Keyfit for #2 since I wasn't too attached to the previous Graco we had for DD. Once we are done with the infant seat (hopefully around a year:praying:)! we'll most likely get one or two Cocorros (we'll definitely need one for the Corolla) and then those will get #2 till at least 2 RFing and then till at least 3 or a little over and then #2 will get the Frontiers and use those until they expire.

mom2binsd
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Definitely, and back at ya! We don't have a BBB here, unfortunately.

I can't believe there's no Bed Bath and Beyond nearby, even my sad little city has one...I'm pretty sure that's the BBB (and not Buy Buy Baby) that she was referring to.

jjordan
12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I can't believe there's no Bed Bath and Beyond nearby, even my sad little city has one...I'm pretty sure that's the BBB (and not Buy Buy Baby) that she was referring to.

Yes, Bed Bath & Beyond owns Buy Buy Baby (or the other way around?). Anyway, BedB&B has carseats online but you can order them from a store and use a 20% off coupon. However they sometimes charge shipping.

I'd probably aim to spend $200-$220 on a frontier since you have a little time to shop around.

JTsMom
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
It was thanks to the mamas here of course :)

Now I'm stalking a good deal on the Keyfit and not having as much luck LOL. I think the best I can do is probably heading to Buy Buy Baby (one just opened nearby) and trying to use a 20% off coupon from BB&B I think (I have to double check they don't exclude Chicco).

Let me know if you see a deal on the keyfit ;)

We do have a BB&B one city over, just no Buy Buy Baby. We aren't that much of a hick town (although we really don't have a Gymboree!) :ROTFLMAO:

I'll keep watching for a deal- thanks for the input everyone! :)

brittone2
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the deal we got on the Frontier was a pricematch at Bed Bath and Beyond (pricematched a sale price on Amazon for the Frontier), and then once they agreed to the price match in store, I used a 20% off Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon.

Since we now have a Buy Buy Baby as well (basically across the street from Bed Bath and Beyond), I'll probably buy the Chicco from them using a 20% off coupon (from Bed Bath and Beyond if Chicco isn't excluded).

AnnieW625
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I am in suburban LA and Buy Buy Baby hasn't made it out my way either, you aren't alone!:). We have BB&B though so really if they are owned by the same company how come they are only in the midwest and east coast it seems?