PDA

View Full Version : Seat for Small 22 month old

IzzyMommy
12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello, My daughter was a preemie and she is still quite small. She is right at 20 lbs. at 22 months old. She is RF in a FY TrueFit as her primary seat, RF in a Evenflo Titan in Hubby's car, and until recently, had been RF in an older Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 in my sisters car. My sister keeps her during the day while I'm at work. So here is my dilemma - the EB expires this month so I am looking into replacement options. Also, my sister just changed cars and we were unable to secure the EB RF without it sliding all over the place (leather in Lexus ES350), so we put her FF as I figured snug and FF was better than moving all over and RF. She is tall compared to her weight, so I don't think I want to get another Titan even though I like the seat as a 2nd seat and its easy to install. Should I get another TF or similar seat, or is there a FF only seat that will convert to booster that is still safe for her small size. Thanks for your input!

Joolsplus2
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
A wobbly (as long as there's less than one inch of movement at the belt path) rearfacing seat is actually still much safer than forward facing, because the forces on her head and neck forward facing will be extremely severe compared to being cradled in the seatback when rearfacing. Not to mention, the minimum forward facing weight is 22 pounds, minimum forward facing height is 34 inches (though you said it's about to expire, that would make it 8 years old? they may not have had those minimum rules back then).
Maybe something like the Evenflo Symphony would be a good choice, it's not too huge, it's got a decent rearfacing limit, tall forward facing limit, and is the only convertible that actually becomes a good booster later :)

IzzyMommy
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks! I'll look into that one. The EB is 8 years old. It was a hand me down from a friend and in really good condition. I figured as a 3rd seat it would work for a while since it doesn't get much use. My family thinks I'm nuts for wanting to replace it. I'm not sure of a specific weight limit on the seat - I just thought at 20 lbs. she could be FF or RF, legally anyway (in TN). That seat wobbled way more than an inch or I would have left it RF.

Thanks for the input!