PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a P&T Dash? Or other great tandem?

men7d
12-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey everyone! I've been seeking a double stroller for my soon-to-be newborn and 2 year-old. After test driving several (including my favorite, the BJCED), my DH has insisted that we must have a tandem/in-line stroller. He hates how double strollers take up space in public areas (filling up a whole coffee shop and blocking whole aisles at the grocery store) and refuses to get a side-by-side.

I've found a great deal on a Phil & Ted Dash ($539!) and want to know if anyone has feedback on it. It seems great, as it weighs only 23 pounds and is only 24 inches wide. I do worry about hitting the bottom rear seat when I walk, and I've heard that the fold is actually kind of complicated. Anyone have any thoughts? If you hate it, what's your favorite tandem?

smcdonald2
12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Many people on this board dislike tandems because they're harder to steer than side-by-sides. However, if you're set on a tandem, the ones that get the best reviews seem to be the Joovy Ultralight Caboose (NOT the original Caboose, definitely get the Ultralight) and the Joovy Ergo Caboose.

The Ultralight is only 21lbs and takes a car seat for a newborn, but there is only a simple bench for your two year old, not a full seat. I've driven this one myself and it steers like a dream, even fully loaded.

http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Caboose-Ultralight-Tandem-Stroller/dp/B000P229P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262225508&sr=8-1

The Ergo is heavier, but has air tires for even BETTER steering. And there are two real seats.

http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-427-Ergo-Caboose-Stroller/dp/B001IY294W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262225576&sr=1-1

You can see video reviews of these strollers by Baby Gizmo.com on Youtube. And Buzzillions.com has tons of written reviews. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Melaine
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I hate tandems, I really really do. SBSs are so much easier to steer I promise you that you will be taking up less room and knocking stuff over less often. JMO about tandems!

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Two friends have the Vibe and while they don't loooove it, they say it gets the job done. They are both city girls.

smcdonald2
12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
This one has gotten some good mentions around here as well.

Kolcraft Contours Tandem
http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Contours-Options-Tandem-Stroller/dp/B000J2DQPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262227290&sr=8-1

lareigna
12-31-2009, 03:25 PM
This one has gotten some good mentions around here as well.

Kolcraft Contours Tandem
http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Contours-Options-Tandem-Stroller/dp/B000J2DQPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262227290&sr=8-1

I've seen that thing irl and it is a BEAST! The OP mentioned how hubby says SBS's take up whole aisles, The Contours tandem ( and most tandems in general) is not much better. I have the single, and I can tell you that the base wheels are very wide. I saw some poor woman try to do a u-turn in an aisle at BRU and it was virtually impossible without bumping everything in creation becuase it is so long. IMO any double unless is going to be bulky so you might as well get one that is easier to maneuver. SBS's aren't as long and much easier to steer. Whatbout the Mac Twin Techno or the BJCMD? The BJCED is very nice as well, but bulkier than the other two.

gobadgers
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I have a P&T and it works really well for us. My kids are also ~2 yrs apart. I bought it when we were in a condo building and had to get through four doors and an elevator to get outside. I thought it was a lot easier than a sbs. It may get to be less so as DS gets bigger and there's more weight in the back, but I haven't gotten there yet. ;) I don't kick the back (5'6"), but DH does sometimes.

chozen
12-31-2009, 04:24 PM
she had her little one in back and when toddler got out of the front seat the whole stroller fell backwards! at one time we were thinking about getting one of these and have since then changed our minds. i know the smallest child is supposed to go in back. some of the other issues we noticed- you really cant hang anything much if at all from the back because its right on top of back seat. another thing a sales lady told us is that alot of children put there fingers on the wheels and some have been hurt, we tried one in the store and our daughter who was around 10mo. old at the time did mess with tires, there is a small guard on them but it really doesnt stop them. the strollers are pretty nice looking but for us that was as far as it went.

men7d
12-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I totally agree with you-- I don't see how a long "bus" is going to be any easier than a side-by-side. I've just gotta convince DH. He's probably going to want me to get a Graco. The horror! =)

I keep drifting away from the BJCMD, but it really just seems like the right choice.

jacksmoma
12-31-2009, 05:56 PM
i did a TON of research on doubles and it seems everyone hates tandem...i have a bjced and it is super easy to steer/push, even in smaller spaces. having said that, i mainly use it for walks to the park (although those are rare these days with two little ones!) and longer days out with dh (so i never deal with it being big to put in the trunk). It is a dream stroller feature wise, top of the line. i had a bjcmd and liked it ok, but the seats were small for my tall 26 month old and the ride was really rough even on smooth sidewalks so that was a dealbreaker. I use my bjcm single on a daily baises as i find all double are a pain to deal with, so i just avoid when i can! hth!