Our trip is coming up soon ~ this is what we have so far

Reservations at Elizabeth's on 37th
Haunted tour one evening
Champagne and strawberries horse and carriage customized tour
Tybee Island with lunch at the Crab Shack
River Street and the waterfront
antique shops
and just wandering around

On our honeymoon we did a trolley ride, dinner at the Pirate's House and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil tour

Any other suggestions?

~~~~~~~~

DH and I just booked our 10th anniversary trip. We're so excited since we've never done anything big for our anniversaries. We spent some of our honeymoon in Savannah and absolutely fell in love with the city so we're headed back in April. We're staying at a very romantic B&B overlooking Chatham Square and very close to Forsyth Park.

We would love suggestions of where to eat and "can't miss" things to do. We have a champagne horse-drawn carriage ride booked through the inn and are planning on doing one of the "haunted" tours. We've been to the Pirates House and loved it but are looking for really romantic places this time.

bluestarfish18
12-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Paula Deen's place! Lady & Sons on Congress. Get there early to get your name on the waiting list, and come hungry! Be prepared to eat the yummiest/least healthy meal you've ever had. Her sons, Bobby & Jamie are often working the gift shop next door...be sure to have some books signed, they are gracious and love talking with fans.

pb&j
12-31-2009, 12:12 AM
If you can get out to Tybee Island, go! Georges' is a great fine dining restaurant - perfect for a romantic dinner. AJ's Dockside is casual, but has the most amazing sunset views and fried flounder ever.

Lady & Sons is super touristy now. I'm not so crazy about it - unless you want to eat lunch at 10am, the wait is very long. Food is ok. I guess I just miss the good ol' days when it was just a little hole in the wall. I prefer Mrs. Wilkes' Dining room at the Wilkes House. Still kind of touristy, but a little less artificial.

I love just wandering around the squares. Savannah's such a beautiful city!

jd11365
12-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Definitely The Crab Shack on Tybee island! Right on the water, tons of seafood, very laid back. It's a favorite of ours for sure.
I wish I could remember the name of the place that had fabulous beignets. Mmmmmmmm....

viba424
12-31-2009, 02:04 AM
I second the Crab Shack on Tybee Island. Ahh, Savannah I love that city! Hope you have a great time!

ilfaith
12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree that Lady & Sons isn't as good as it used to be. The first time DH and I ate there (five years ago on Christmas Eve day) we liked it...but we went back this past spring and were really unimpressed...it wasn't much better than cafeteria food...and we were treated like cattle.

For a fine dining experience, I'd recommend the Sapphire Grill. Not inexpensive, but really wonderful food. http://www.sapphiregrill.com/

Savannah is such a wonderful city for just aimless wandering. All the pretty streets and squares and the charming shops. The ghost tours are fun. I've done two, but honestly can't remember what company. And you ought to have such nice weather in April. Hmm. Our 10th anniversary is this coming year and I was thinking of a long weekend trip without the kiddos (it would be our first time leaving them)...maybe we'll put Savannah on the list. It's a short drive for us...we've even gone as a day trip.

billysmommy
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!!!

We're planning on going out to Tybee Island one of the days and the Crab Shack sounds great.
A friend of mine who used to live there also suggested Elizabeth's on 37th which is very romanric and sounds wonderful plus its very close to where we're staying.

Any other suggestions?

MamaMolly
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Pralines! Go for a walk along the river and eat yummy, sweet pralines right out of the bag. The food of the Gods. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

viba424
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Im sure the locals hate hearing this, but you should watch "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" if you already havent seen it. I still find the opportunity to say "hide my candy" now and then....hahahahahaa. Seriously, the movie sets the stage and shows the beauty and mistique of the city.

Also, take a carriage ride if there's one available. You'll learn a lot about the city if you read a bit before you go, and them being the first in the country to establish a historic preservation district, after one of the 22 squares was lost to a parking garage in the 1960's. Their city plan is fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squares_of_Savannah,_Georgia

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I bought a guide book that had a walking tour. It might be worth looking around for something like that. We really explored the city that way.

Beth

viba424
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.savannahgeorgia.com/largemap.htm

octmom
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Definitely The Crab Shack on Tybee island! Right on the water, tons of seafood, very laid back. It's a favorite of ours for sure.
I wish I could remember the name of the place that had fabulous beignets. Mmmmmmmm....

I think Huey's is the place with the tasty beignets. It's on the river, at least it was six and a half years ago. :drool:

TonFirst
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
A friend of mine who used to live there also suggested Elizabeth's on 37th which is very romanric and sounds wonderful plus its very close to where we're staying.

Any other suggestions?

DEFINITELY make a reservation for Elizabeth's on 37th. If you like food, you'd be remiss if you didn't eat there!

lizzywednesday
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Budget Travel did a quickie Savannah trip upgrade article in 2008 ... it was more of a girls' weekend, but it might give you ideas:

http://budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2008/05/26/AR2008052601480.html

gordo
01-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Great timing for the question! My best friend and I were thinking of going to Savannah for a girls weekend.

billysmommy
01-05-2010, 09:24 PM
DEFINITELY make a reservation for Elizabeth's on 37th. If you like food, you'd be remiss if you didn't eat there!

I'm glad to hear another good review :)

We're really intrigued with their 7-course chef's menu. DH and I will anything and I'd love to see what they come up with. We've done these before and have always loved it.

billysmommy
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Our trip is coming up soon ~ this is what we have so far

Reservations at Elizabeth's on 37th
Haunted tour one evening
Champagne and strawberries horse and carriage customized tour
Tybee Island with lunch at the Crab Shack
River Street and the waterfront
antique shops
and just wandering around

We've already done the trolley ride, dinner at the Pirate's House, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil tour

Any other suggestions?

Smillow
04-13-2010, 02:25 AM
We were in Savannah in Feb & ate at the Pirate House - just okay IMO.
Definitely try Mrs. Wilkes!
I would add biking or walking through Bonaventure Cemetery - it is in Thunderbolt on the river and just beautiful.
Th audiobook for MITGoG&E is wonderful!

Carrots
04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I second Ms. Wilkes!!!! It is family style dining so you sit at a round table with other people and pass the food around. The food is delicious and the iced tea is amazing. You can also go to the back door of the kitchen and order take out. We did that one night and sat in a park for dinner.

Tybee Island was great too.

Have fun!

ewpmsw
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Vic's on the River had great food and great service. It has different levels and can be a good place for a romantic dinner or a group. http://www.vicsontheriver.com/

For lunch, Goose Feathers Express Cafe was so good we went twice in one visit. The owners were friendly and made us welcome both times. http://www.goosefeatherscafe.com/

Have a good time on your trip!

Nooknookmom
04-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Tybee Island!!!!!!!!!!! I know it is on your list but that is my FAVORITE beach on the planet. I grew up going there, my Grandma and uncle lived on the island. 20+ years ago it was **pristine**, it's a bit more built up now, but still beautiful.

I am jealous, have fun!!