PDA

View Full Version : Volo or Triumph/Quest for a second stroller?

LAMom
12-31-2009, 12:51 AM
We have BJCM and it is pretty good all around stroller. However I've been thinking about getting a lighter umbrella stroller as well, BJCM is a little bulky some places. I like the Maclarens for their ease of maneuvering, so I am probably sticking with something on that line as a second stroller. I had my heart set on Volo as the smallest and lightest, but looking at older threads am now wondering if I should go for Triumph or Quest. Would they be too duplicative of BJCM? Is Volo too bare bones? Thanks!

C99
12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I love the Volo, hated the Quest and sold it. But YMMV. I am a light packer - the less I have to schlep, the better - so that may explain my preference for the Volo.

jacksmoma
12-31-2009, 01:46 PM
most people have the bjcm as their second stroller (or only) as it is so light and pretty small- i think a mac would be too similar. i have a bjcm now and used to have a mac quest and did not like it- i think you will find mac's don't have any of the features that you love about your bjcm- huge hood, windows, tons of storage, non-tippyness, easy push, and easy fold. just my experience with a mac and bjcm!

AnnieW625
12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I just don't care for the Volo at all, but I know it's really popular. Our main stroller for 3+ yrs. has been a Maclaren Triumph and I love it a lot. We bought it when DD was 3/1/2 mos. old or so and never looked back. It's good for everything and honestly if I could go back in time and tell myself to spend the extra money on the full reclining/full suspension Techno XT I would. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Triumph or the Quest. The Quest and the Triumph weigh about the same, and I think the Triumph might be 13lbs vs. the Quests 11lbs.

mecawa
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a BJCM and a Triumph. My Triumph was our only stroller for DD1 from the time she was 12 months until she was like 4. I love the Triumph, the Volo is a little too bare bones for me, the Quest is really nice and if you are using it for a child under a year and a half I would consider it. I don't think a Triumph or Quest is too much like the BJCM, they are both much more compact and easy to maneuver than a BJCM, imo anyways. I like my BJCM but love my Triumph, I feel the same as you the BJCM just gets a little to bulky and clumsy feeling to me, but it was good for when DD2 was a baby. Now that she is 1, I find myself using the Triumph more and more again.

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2009, 03:27 PM
If you want to make your BJCM feel a little more nimble, make your 2nd stroller something with air tires :) I'm in the Triumph camp. Volo is too no frills, Quest is too many frills. Remember that you can't use a Volo with a smaller baby, but the Triumph has a recline - not all the way, but enough for our 3mo babies. I find it versatile enough.

ETA: a friend who had a volo for her older DC ended up having to borrow our Triumph because her stroller didn't recline. She was annoyed about it because she had to wait a long time to use it with subsequent DC.

AnnieW625
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Remember that you can't use a Volo with a smaller baby, but the Triumph has a recline - not all the way, but enough for our 3mo babies. I find it versatile enough.

Also the Quest has two recline positions, but honestly the second one isn't much lower than the Triumph so I would save the extra money and get a Triumph instead. My DD didn't pick up stroller sleeping on short trips until she was over a year so we never needed the full recline, but even now at 3+ for theme parks, vacation, and such the one position recline in the Triumph is enough for her.

satchnbucky
12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
BRUS has clearance macs right now 30% off...

LAMom
12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately my BRU had no clearance Macs, so the purchase will probably have to wait anyway. I will guard the bargains board :)

strollerqueen
01-01-2010, 06:10 AM
I just don't care for the Volo at all, but I know it's really popular. Our main stroller for 3+ yrs. has been a Maclaren Triumph and I love it a lot. We bought it when DD was 3/1/2 mos. old or so and never looked back. It's good for everything and honestly if I could go back in time and tell myself to spend the extra money on the full reclining/full suspension Techno XT I would. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Triumph or the Quest. The Quest and the Triumph weigh about the same, and I think the Triumph might be 13lbs vs. the Quests 11lbs.

Annie, are you getting the Techno for your new LO?

C99
01-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Remember that you can't use a Volo with a smaller baby, but the Triumph has a recline - not all the way, but enough for our 3mo babies. I find it versatile enough.

My brother has only a Volo and he used it with his baby from 2-3 months & up. I found that as soon as my kids could keep their heads upright, they could sit in the Volo.

hillview
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I like the quest for DS #1 who is very tall -- the sun shade does not hit his head like all the other macs I looked at.
/hillary

arivecchi
01-03-2010, 02:17 PM
:heartbeat: my Triumph. My neighbor has a the BJCM and my toddler did not fit, so that would disqualify it for me. My kids are tall and I need tall seatbacks, which Macs have.