PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite book

Reyadawnbringer
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I just went to the book store last night and found a neat new book. It is black and has spiral binding and is filled whith a ton of blank white pages. No lines or anything. Most people would call it a sketch book, and once upon a time ago I might have too. Recently though I have been on a quest for just such a book, but not exclusively for the purpose or drawing or sketching. The book I was looking for needed to be able to be folded over so that I could easily write or draw in the space next to the binding. I also preferred it to be perforated, so that I can easily remove sheets without mucking them all up. I wanted it to be a hardcover so that it could not easily be smooshed in my purse. It also needed to be the perfect size- not too big (needs to fit in my everyday purse and not be a hassle), but not too small (need to be able to have lots of space for writing/drawing on the page). I also preferred the hardcover to be a plain simple color. I didn't want my stuff on the inside to be influenced by a pattern or stuff on the outside. I wanted all of this and yet, I didn't want to have to pay more than 15 bucks for it.

Now, granted, this was a TALL order for a simple book, but after browsing the book store quite a bit I found 2 such perfect notebooks. It was tough deciding between the two but in the end I decided on the one that met ALL the criteria including the price (I only paid 10 bucks for the one I got). I did like the other more expensive one better, BUT I got the cheaper one because I am trying something new and am not really sure it is going to work, so I didn't want to buy the 20 dollar notebook only to have my little project fail. I DID, however, promise myself that IF this notebook ended up being successfully filled up, then the next one I would buy I ould splurge and get the better 20 dollar one.

Now for an explanation on my "project". Usually I find a cool journal I like and buy it with every intention of writing... then after a few entries I cease to write. I try to go back and never can. I end up looking at the gaps between writing and I end up feeling defeated. I also endlessly doodle on scraps of paper, write down plans, goals, thoughts, and ideas, only to have then get lost in all the trash. I recently discovered upon some self reflection that when I have a "purpose" for a journal or notebook, then things end up everywhere but there. Most often though, I just don't even bother to write it down because I don't have THAT notebook on me.

Enter my nifty new book. This book is not a journal, or sketchbook, or a notepad, or even a planner. This new book is whatever I want it to be. In short, this new book will be my brain. I will write down anything and everything I want to, anywhere in this book. I don't even want lines because lines make me feel like there has to be some sort of order to my sometimes incomplete or chaotic thoughts. I can sketch in it, paint, write, plan, bitch, vent, reflect, brainstorm- WHATEVER I want! I love the idea, and I am completely ecstatic that I found just the PERFECT book! The best part of this new book is that there are no rules to it... Let's see if it works :)

billysmommy
12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
What a great idea :)

catpagmo
12-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Usually I find a cool journal I like and buy it with every intention of writing... then after a few entries I cease to write. I try to go back and never can. I end up looking at the gaps between writing and I end up feeling defeated.

I can relate to this.

Way to go! Sounds like a wonderful plan/great idea! A great way to start the new year!