PDA

View Full Version : How much exercise allowed in the first 6 wks PP?

ExcitedMamma
12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I know activity is supposed to be limited in the first 6 wks PP but is walking the only thing allowed? I worked out a lot pre-pregnancy but I have had horrible m/s for most of my pregnancy so I have been a couch potato pretty much since April now so I really want to get moving again. I bought some post-natal workout dvds and I have Wii Fit, can I start with light workouts like those and add in weights? Or is it really restricted activity until the check up? I'm really trying to psych myself up to get moving after delivery and not make excuses about being tired and sore to put it off like I did while pregnant. Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I was happy to have a 2w check up, standard at my midwives' practice (good time to do a physical check up as well as for them to look for signs of depression). I was given the green light for exercise then since the birth had been very uncomplicated. I think they gave me ab exercises to do even sooner. I'd just check with them and see how you are feeling. I didn't have to wait 6 weeks with either child. Mostly in the pp period your body will let you know if you ware overdoing it by things like increased bloody discharge. It's not going to be a big crimp on your ability to get back into shape if you do wait a few weeks (months) postpartum to get back to where you were before hand. Do what you can but don't be hard on yourself.

Beth

pb&j
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
After DS was born, I needed some time to heal - it was prob 2-3 weeks before I felt like doing anything. But after DD, I felt like a million bucks immediately! I was walking 2-3 miles/day within a couple of days after the birth, and I was at the gym less than two weeks later, and running w/in 3 weeks. I started doing ab work almost immediately, too (not that it helped, lol - some things you just can fix!!).

I agree with the PP - your body will let you know. Take things easy at first, and if you have increased bleeding, back off.

ETA: I had uncomplicated vaginal deliveries - ymmv, esp if you have a c-section or any complications.