PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here built Bug from scratch?

blondflava
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I got the stroller fever.. And denying it won't help LOL. Anyway, I'm selling my jogger and want to get a Bugaboo Cameleon instead. I read about doing it 'from scratch', and yes, you can buy a chassis, wheels, seat fabric etc off ebay. I don't need the bassinet, is there anyone who did it? I need success stories here! Help cure my stroller fever :applause: .. Or should I just try to get it used off Craigslist, my budget is no more than 350.. Is it doable?? TIA!!

jenandahalf
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I looked into that, it looks like you need an awful lot of parts if you want to build it new. There are a lot of used ones for sale, for that budget definitely stick with CraigsList though as the Ebay ones seem to go for $500-600 (which personally I think is outrageous for a used stroller!). You might also be better looking for a frog if you only have $350, the cameleons usually go for a lot more.

Personally I would rather get a new stroller in my price range than buy a used one but that's just me, I know a lot of people are happy with getting such a great stroller for such a great price, and you can buy a new fabric set for it at a reasonable price on Ebay.

vahnessuh
01-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Just go to Craigslist and get a full stroller from there for your price range. It would save you a lot of time and headache hunting for those parts =) I have a Cam and I really really love it! You're going to love yours too =)

lareigna
01-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I have a friend who succesfully built a Cam. Between CL, Ebay, and other stores like Marshall's who sometimes has Bugaboo fabric for sale, it took her about 3 months to get everything together, but she really really took her time and hunted and haggled for every piece. It worked well for her not having to come up with all the money at one time though, almost like layaway. In all, she spent between $300 and $400 for the Cam. She really lucked out and got a chassis with all the wheels and seat frame for $175 from someone on CL. One thing I can say is to try and get a chassis that has wheels, because they are expensive a la carte! I personally wouldn't have gone through all that trouble. If you hunt on CL, I know that sometimes people list Frogs for $350 and $400 and you can just buy new fabric and it's almost as good as new.

Here's an article I found that should help with all the pieces you will need:

http://daddytypes.com/2007/06/25/buying_a_bugaboo_from_parts_a_la_carte_whats_the_c atch.php

http://reviews.ebay.com/Bugaboo-Guide-to-parts-Frog-Cameleon-answers-to-your_W0QQugidZ10000000007975882

GL!