PDA

View Full Version : Stop asking if I'm pregnant!

pinay
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I am much more of a lurker than a poster around here, but I just needed to vent about a friend. We're actually close, our DDs are best friends, but I'm getting really tired of her asking about whether or not I'm pregnant. I miscarried last April and we've been trying without much success since the end of the summer, so it REALLY bothers me when she asks. I know she's not doing it to be mean or spiteful, but I'm highly annoyed by the invasiveness of her questions. DH and I agreed that if/when we get pregnant again, we were going to wait to tell everyone until we were into the second trimester, and she knows this yet continues to ask questions very single month. I'm trying to come up with an effective non-b$#@y way to tell her to stop asking me, but at this point I'm about ready to rip her head off if she asks me again!

hillview
01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd just tell her it is a difficult topic and you know she means well but maybe you could avoid it?

HUGS. We went through infert workups x2 so I feel some of your pain!
/hillary

DietCokeLover
01-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I would say to her exactly what you put in your post. That this is a hard topic for you right now and that even though you are sure that she means no harm, that her questions are hurtful to you. Tell her that if there is news to share, that you will be excited to share it at the appropriate time.

elizabethkott
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I would say to her exactly what you put in your post. That this is a hard topic for you right now and that even though you are sure that she means no harm, that her questions are hurtful to you. Tell her that if there is news to share, that you will be excited to share it at the appropriate time.

:yeahthat:

viba424
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I had a friend that did that too, all the time. Its like she didnt really care about me...she just wanted to keep tabs on me for her entertainment or something. I kind of wanted to ask, why do you care so much when I get pregnant? Ive never been possessed to ask someone about that, particularly multiple times. Just tell her, as soon as I am dear, I promise youll be the ninth to know. :waving4:

Melanie
01-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I would just be delicately honest next time, especially think you seem to have the impression that she means well. I would imagine she would be very unahppy to think she was bringing you pain.

jenandahalf
01-01-2010, 11:31 PM
My MIL was the one asking on a weekly basis when we got married. My husband finally broke down one day and told her to just stop asking as her questioning was getting hurtful as we were quietly trying without success for a long time.

Just do what a PP said and ask if she can just stop asking for a while as it's starting to become an issue.

vahnessuh
01-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I second the other posters. Just ask her not to ask you anymore and that if you are pregnant, you'll tell her =)

PS. I'm Pinay and I'm in SD too! Well, San Marcos to be exact... but it's pretty cool to find one like me here =p

pinay
01-02-2010, 02:21 AM
I had a friend that did that too, all the time. Its like she didnt really care about me...she just wanted to keep tabs on me for her entertainment or something. I kind of wanted to ask, why do you care so much when I get pregnant? Ive never been possessed to ask someone about that, particularly multiple times. Just tell her, as soon as I am dear, I promise youll be the ninth to know. :waving4:

There's a small part of me that feels this way about this friend- it's like she has this *need* to be in on any secret. And maybe that's why I'm feeling a little snarky about the whole situation as well.

pinay
01-02-2010, 02:22 AM
I second the other posters. Just ask her not to ask you anymore and that if you are pregnant, you'll tell her =)

PS. I'm Pinay and I'm in SD too! Well, San Marcos to be exact... but it's pretty cool to find one like me here =p

:wavey: I'm not too far from you- we moved to Poway last year :)

JenChem
01-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Honestly until I started reading here I never thought twice about asking my friends/relatives if they were ttc or pregnant. I guess because I was excited about it for myself I wanted to share that experience with them. Since reading here I have stopped asking my BF about it (she's been ttc for over a year now) and even though I get excited whenever she calls, I bite my tongue. I bet your friend is totally clueless like me, you should tell her or if that's too awkward, direct her to some support type pages.