PDA

View Full Version : New Carseat Help

Hokie
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
My son is 6 months old and has almost outgrown his infant carier in length (90% in height, only 1 more inch to go,). There are so many choices of carseats, I have no idea which one to choose. Obviously my main concern is top saftey ratings. From what others have told me I think I am looking for a Britanx but am not sure. I drive a mid size sedan (Acura TL). Any insight that other parents can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

GraceH
01-02-2010, 02:51 PM
The seat will be outgrown when there is less than 1" between the top of DC's head and the top of the shell (see pic here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 ) or when he reaches the weight limit...
As for convertibles, your budget may affect your choice... on the higher end are the Radians and most Britaxes... for other highly recommended seats with a 'nicer' price tag, take a look at the Britax Roundabout50(not the 40), Graco MyRide65, First Years True Fit, and Evenflo Triumph Advance...
Of these, I think the slots on the Radians, Britax Boulevard, and TrueFit are the highest - followed by the Britax Marathon, Roundabout50, and MyRide65... most of the sliding harness systems do NOT remove for cleaning...
Take a look at these seats, then let us know what questions you have once you've narrowed it down a bit. Before you totally commit, a trip to BRU to test the fit on your son and for your car is highly recommended (not that you have to buy there - we can help you find some great deals online too)

arivecchi
01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
If your goal is to keep your DC as long as possible in a rear facing car seat, look at the convertibles with the highest rear facing weight limits. Keeping your DC rear facing is the single most important thing you can do to keep your DC safe. The new Radian 80 and XT SL car seats have a 45 RFing weight limit, the 65 has a 40 pound RFing weight limit. Radians are really great car seats but occupy a lot of space rear facing because they are very tall seats. The MyRide and the Complete Air rear face to 40 pounds. I love Britax car seats but they only RF to 35 #. For a tall DC, I'd definitely go with a Radian.