PDA

View Full Version : QUICK --> Installing Frontier in a Honda Pilot!

Fairy
01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have any tips on installing a Frontier in the back passenger side of a Honda Pilot with latch & tether? Not the third row seat, just the back seat. DH is having a helluva time in the 10 degree wx, and he's using words he doesn't normally use. In other words, my poor DH is not a happy man. Any words of wisdom?

OKKiddo
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any tips on installing a Frontier in the back passenger side of a Honda Pilot with latch & tether? Not the third row seat, just the back seat. DH is having a helluva time in the 10 degree wx, and he's using words he doesn't normally use. In other words, my poor DH is not a happy man. Any words of wisdom?

Here's the latch install video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6b3H6HS-Y

or the Long Belt Path Install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuovrWhQp0

I know there was another video done but I can't find it right now....

ThreeofUs
01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I hate to say this, because I know you probably already know it, but the Frontier installs much differently. Ya gotta read the manual closely to install without swearing a river.

Sorry to have such poor advice, but that was the long and short of it for me.

GL!

jjordan
01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I think AnnieW625 has a Frontier in a Pilot. Maybe send her a pm in case she is not on the board?

arivecchi
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
The key is to thread the LATCH straps through the slits in the seat cover to the front of the seat so you can adjust from the front of the seat. Once you figure that out (took me a while), it is easy peasy.

o_mom
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
For LATCH (assuming your DS is still under 40 lbs??), the key as PP said is threading the 'tails' of the straps back through the front of the cover and pull from inside the seat.

For seatbelt (if he is over 40 lbs...), I found the key in the one Ody I installed in was to thread the belt through, then pull the lap portion from inside the seat on the buckle side for a long beltpath install. Hard to explain, but the lap portion of the belt goes from the lower attachment, around the front of the seat/armrest area, through the cover, behind the shell, then back out** to the front, over the other armrest area to the buckle. Pull at the point where the ** are and then feed it through the buckle and back up to the shoulder point. It takes like six hands to do the long path the first time. :)

bubbaray
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Just an FYI, *I* had a bear of a time installing my FR (latch/TT) in my Ody. People say its easy and IMO it definitely is NOT. Put some beer on ice for your DH b/c he's gonna want it.

HIU8
01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
OYE, as I am the family carseat installer and the next seat we are getting for DS will be a frontier, I'm not looking forward to the install in my Odyssey. I don't drink, but it sounds like this install will drive me to do so.

Joolsplus2
01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Meh, I dunno... recline the vehicle seatback, LATCH the LATCH hooks, pull through the big slits in the cover provided for LATCH tightening purposes, put the seatback back up. I only cried before I figured out how to use the huge slits in the cover for tightening the LATCH ;) THEN I read the manual that said how to do it, d'oh.
Long belt path seat install... it's only hard the first 3 times or so in any car, then it's not so bad.

Fairy
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, uh ... well, it kinda turns out that we can't use latch. He's 51 lbs. So, we need the belt path. So, DH finally got it installed, and then last night I broke it to him that it's installed wrong and he, uh, has to do it again. He doesn't drink, and he hates coffee, so I'll be making him Shepard's Pie tonight ... best I can do.

Thanks, everyone :sulkoff:

arivecchi
01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
There are You tube videos showing the long belt path install if that helps...

mikeys_mom
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Mine is installed in a Sienna with the long belt path and the first few times it took a while and I needed a second pair of hands to get it done. This was after watching the youtube video a few times.

I can do it myself now in under 5 minutes. It's not as super easy as my MA but not much of a challenge anymore. As soon as you understand the mechanics of the long belt path it gets a lot easier.

Good luck!

bubbaray
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, uh ... well, it kinda turns out that we can't use latch. He's 51 lbs. So, we need the belt path. So, DH finally got it installed, and then last night I broke it to him that it's installed wrong and he, uh, has to do it again. He doesn't drink, and he hates coffee, so I'll be making him Shepard's Pie tonight ... best I can do.

Here is Darren doing the reverse belt path, what we now call the long belt path, installation.

http://carseatblog.com/?p=2386

GOOD LUCK!

ThreeofUs
01-03-2010, 05:18 PM

:ROTFLMAO:Sorry, Hil, but this was one of the most hilarious posts I've read today. I *totally* empathize with you and your DH after my experience installing.

Have a great meal! Yummy food definitely hath charms to calm a savage breast, lol.

OKKiddo
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Here is Darren doing the reverse belt path, what we now call the long belt path, installation.

http://carseatblog.com/?p=2386

GOOD LUCK!

That's the video I was having trouble finding, lol! :)