PDA

View Full Version : Crib -> bed -> crib -> bed again? Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Naranjadia
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Somebody save me!!

In October, we switched the kids from cribs to toddler beds. We had a rough week, followed by two good weeks, followed by a month of sheer hell. Craziness, nakedness, Aquaphor, destruction, defiance. DD regressed into being clinging and shy. So when we said we were going back to the cribs, they actually seemed relieved. So then we had a nice month until we went to a hotel with pack'n'plays over Christmas, which seems to have reminded them that they can get out of their cribs.

They are climbing out their cribs all the time. DD can do it easily; DS has a little more trouble as he's shorter and we're worried he'll fall. DH does not want to do a crib tent because of stuff he read about strangulation.

We're also having trouble with naps. Major resistance there. Today they didn't nap and went down at night easily. Is this my cue that naps are over? (They turn 3 in Feb.) Should we switch to beds and cut out naps? Or cut out naps for awhile and then switch to beds?

DD is I guess what you'd call slightly "spirited" and it is impossible dealing with her when she is refusing to lay down for bed. She wants to be what she calls "a bad girl" then, and no consequence matters to her.

Melaine
01-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Ohhhh I really feel for you!!! I dealt with the nap struggle for SO long and yes, I think it probably is the cue that the naps are gone (or are better gone then a long drawn out battle each and every day).
I really REALLY recommend the video camera (sorry if I already told you this, I can't remember). For us, it totally saved our sanity and it was only $30 at Harbor Freight Tools. There was plenty of mischief the girls could have gotten into but we were able to nip it in the bud by watching them and intervening the moment they got out of the toddler bed. Since the first couple months after the big switch, we really haven't had trouble they have gone back to being fairly good sleepers. (and we no longer need the camera)
I will say that if you cut out naps and switch to beds at the same time, it might go a little more smoothly because they will be exhausted at night and less likely to put up a fight, just fall asleep, you know?

elektra
01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
What has your dh read about strangulation and the crib tents? We have been having trouble with dd in the toddler bed too and I recently purchased a crib tent but haven't used it yet.

Naranjadia
01-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Ohhhh I really feel for you!!! I dealt with the nap struggle for SO long and yes, I think it probably is the cue that the naps are gone (or are better gone then a long drawn out battle each and every day).
I really REALLY recommend the video camera (sorry if I already told you this, I can't remember). For us, it totally saved our sanity and it was only $30 at Harbor Freight Tools. There was plenty of mischief the girls could have gotten into but we were able to nip it in the bud by watching them and intervening the moment they got out of the toddler bed. Since the first couple months after the big switch, we really haven't had trouble they have gone back to being fairly good sleepers. (and we no longer need the camera)
I will say that if you cut out naps and switch to beds at the same time, it might go a little more smoothly because they will be exhausted at night and less likely to put up a fight, just fall asleep, you know?

Melaine - you did mention the video cam, but I'm not sure we need it because we can tell exactly when they've gotten out of their beds. But how often were you having to intervene? Because we were having to go in non-stop for about two hours. Also, when you put them back to bed, what did you say to them? After awhile, I found myself bargaining, cajoling, threatening, and other motherly nasties. :tongue5:

What has your dh read about strangulation and the crib tents? We have been having trouble with dd in the toddler bed too and I recently purchased a crib tent but haven't used it yet.

One of the comments, I can't remember if it was at Amazon or where, mentioned a single crib tent strangulation of a 2 year old. Which led to our finding this article (http://www.safetyresearch.net/2009/02/01/crib-tents-another-hazard-from-the-world-of-unregulated-child-products/), but I couldn't verify it at CPSC's site. My guess is the investigation isn't over. Not knowing the details, I can't visualize how it could have happened. Nonetheless, DH is spooked and I wouldn't want him to stress out about the kids using them.

HIU8
01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't have twins, but my DD is 2.5 and gave up naps right at 2. She only naps when she is overly tired or sick now.

I don't have any advice for the crib climbing as neither of mine did that, so I have no idea how to help you. However, we did go through a rough period with DS where we had to use the sleep lady method (sleep lady shuffle) in order to get him to go to sleep on his own. It took about a month for it to work, but it worked wonderfully. When we would go away we may have had to redo it for a couple of nights when we got home, but things fell right back into place.

fivi2
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
When mine started climbing out of the cribs, we went to mattresses on the floor. We took all the toys (everything) out and gated the door. We then let them be crazy until they fell asleep. At some point we started separating them - the one who would stay in bed went to sleep in our room, the other stayed in the gated room. This worked better for us than constantly going in, since she seemed to get a new burst of energy every time we went in there.

But every kid is different!

oh yeah - we gave up naps when it became too much of a struggle and bumped bedtime earlier. honestly, it was kind of nice because it made them go down easier at night and we had a lot of evening time together.

Good luck!

Naranjadia
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Thank you Heather and fivi2. We haven't had naps for 2 days and that has made bedtime soooo much easier. We are also considering just what you said, fivi2, removing everything in the room, except the beds, and letting them do what they will. They have just discovered wrestling, but I think that wouldn't last long in their room, as the carpet is not as soft.

I suppose we will need to put off potty training until the sleep situation is squared away, Aaaaaaaah!!!!:praying:

fivi2
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you Heather and fivi2. We haven't had naps for 2 days and that has made bedtime soooo much easier. We are also considering just what you said, fivi2, removing everything in the room, except the beds, and letting them do what they will. They have just discovered wrestling, but I think that wouldn't last long in their room, as the carpet is not as soft.

I suppose we will need to put off potty training until the sleep situation is squared away, Aaaaaaaah!!!!:praying:

yeah - mine didn't really wrestle - I can see how that would be a problem! Also, we did end up separating them at some point, I just can't remember when. One would stay put so she went in our bed and then we'd move her to their room once asleep.

Good luck!

And I can't remember how old yours are, but my girls didn't potty train until 3 yo. No reason to rush it at all.