PDA

View Full Version : Would yu take your 5yos skiing in wicked cold weather?

blisstwins
01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
We are trying to get our kids comfortable skiing, but it will be 20 degrees with 40mph winds tomorrow. It was frigid all day today. Are we supposed to skip skiing (there is a local place) in weather like this or do people just dress accordingly and go for it?

KpbS
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
To me, that sounds absolutely miserable! Take the wind out of the equation, and maybe. For an introduction to skiing for a child, I wouldn't.

bubbaray
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
DH would and has numerous times with DD#1. *I* might (would depend -- if its that temp and sunny, I would, but raining, no).

Dress in layers, take warm fleece for in the lodge so you can take off jackets and dry off a bit.

elliput
01-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Not with 40 mph winds. That puts the wind chill below zero. I worked at a ski area when I was in college and windy days were always slow. Usually, it was the real die hard crowd that would show up and almost never any small kids.

HIU8
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
All I did today was go to the grocery store with the 40 mph winds and temp at 27 degrees (so somewhere in the early teens with the windchill). When the wind was whipping I found it very hard to breath. so, no I would not take my DC skiing with the wind gusting like it was. With no wind (or very little) I definitely would though.

bubbaray
01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Just to clarify, where *we* ski with our kids, the winds aren't usually a huge factor as the easier runs are lower down the mountains.... With beginner skiiers, you aren't usually on chairs but rope tows, etc that aren't affected by winds. I wouldn't go on a chair with a 40mph wind and I would not be impressed if DH took the girls in those winds on a chair. I'd be fine if he took them on rope tows etc.

hillview
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Nope. Sure way to kill any interest is make my DS #1 cold/crying.
/hillary

jenandahalf
01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Their poor faces would be red raw!

We took our almost 6yo skiing for the first time a few weeks ago locally but it was around 30 degrees with no wind. I don't think she would have enjoyed it if it had been colder or windier.

MontrealMum
01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd do it in 20 degrees with no problem - in fact, DH just left with DS to go skiing - but the 40 mph winds would give me pause. So painful, especially when you're so exposed up on an alpine slope or a lift.

hbridge
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
The chair lifts get scary in high winds. DH and I went skiing a few weeks ago without DC and they closed the lifts due to wind; it was rugged.

That being said, you know your child best and they may love the adventure...