PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sports balls for baby...

KarenLud
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
the ones that have stuffing on the inside but have like a pleather type exterior. Know what I'm talking about? Any ideas on where I could find some? I checked amazon and they only have the ones with the stuffed animal like exterior. Thanks for any suggestions!

catpagmo
01-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Is it Nerf? That's all that's coming to mind. Kind of heavy for a baby, though. Not sure that was any help.

brittone2
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
SOme of those may have vinyl...not sure how you feel about that.

We introduced an "O ball" pretty early on and my kids liked that. Not exactly what you are looking for, but may be worth checking out depending on your needs.

KarenLud
01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
SOme of those may have vinyl...not sure how you feel about that.

We introduced an "O ball" pretty early on and my kids liked that. Not exactly what you are looking for, but may be worth checking out depending on your needs.

What's up with vinyl? I can't seem to keep up with the no's for parenting these days..lol! He has the O ball and loves it..daddy wants him to have the sports balls like that...so when I get an approval to buy toys I go for it! Unless there's a health risk to consider...

brittone2
01-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Vinyl often has phthalates (endocrine disrupting chemicals) which are used to keep the plastic coating soft and pliable. VInyl sometimes has lead with it (used as a stabilizer). Lead obviously isn't supposed to be in vinyl toys, but has ended up in things like lunchboxes and certain toys in the past few years anyhow. I'd be concerned about a younger infant chewing on it too since I wouldn't necessarily trust the paint 100% and it could easily be sort of flaked off with chewing (just the nature of how that stuff is...as it dries out it cracks/flakes, etc. kwim?). There are tighter standards going into effect for phthalates, but there are loopholes. I haven't followed all of the changes in recent months, but I know for a while there was discussion of banning phthalates in products marketed to children under X age for example...so if the ball isn't specifically marketed to young children, it may not have the same safety standards, kwim?

With an older kid I probably wouldn't really worry but for a baby who might mouth it I might look for an alternative. I'm weird about that stuff though as you probably know ;)

KarenLud
01-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Vinyl often has phthalates (endocrine disrupting chemicals) which are used to keep the plastic coating soft and pliable. VInyl sometimes has lead with it (used as a stabilizer). Lead obviously isn't supposed to be in vinyl toys, but has ended up in things like lunchboxes and certain toys in the past few years anyhow. I'd be concerned about a younger infant chewing on it too since I wouldn't necessarily trust the paint 100% and it could easily be sort of flaked off with chewing (just the nature of how that stuff is...as it dries out it cracks/flakes, etc. kwim?). There are tighter standards going into effect for phthalates, but there are loopholes. I haven't followed all of the changes in recent months, but I know for a while there was discussion of banning phthalates in products marketed to children under X age for example...so if the ball isn't specifically marketed to young children, it may not have the same safety standards, kwim?

With an older kid I probably wouldn't really worry but for a baby who might mouth it I might look for an alternative. I'm weird about that stuff though as you probably know ;)

Thanks and I :love5: all of your detailed info that you provide here on this forum. And such a good point..if I'm not finding them they then they may just not be marketed/available in the places I'm looking for baby toys:) I just may need to find some plush ones or just let it go and buy other toys for DS that I want him to have :D

brittone2
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I think the plush is a better option if you want it to look soccer ball-ish and not deal with the vinyl issues.

HTH :)

SASM
01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I have seen them in Target sporting goods section. Small size for small hands with characters on them, right? I would also reccomend the O-ball...we'be been using our for years...good for all ages...just don't let the dog get near it.

ETA: DD1 was going through a phase at 15mo where she NEEDED to sleep with a ball. I bought a rainbow plush one from Gund. I bought it from BRU but have seen them at BuyBuyBaby, too.

JBaxter
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Hope its ok to chime in with an opinion :).... My life is kids sports having 4 boys there hasnt been anything "we" havent done. Babies/toddlers like balls in general doesnt matter what color shape. If it round and they can throw it bounce it its fun. We have some "sensory" balls that are really fun to. I think its more the Dads who like the pseudo authentic looking ones.

jgenie
01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
DS received one of these (http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=120887&) as a shower gift. He still loves to play with it.

katydid1971
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
We had a lot of experience with balls around here. Gund has some really cute stuffed animal type balls for newborns. FWIW I would recomend staying away from nerf balls. DS had one and totally bit a huge chuck out of it when he hardly had any teeth at all (just a little nub of his first teeth). They have a few balls like these, we bought a couple at old navy for less than $5. Super cute and fun. Have been very popular with both kids.
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=605875172&tid=goggprod1r&ggprod=id_153508196

catpagmo
01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
There are also Gertie balls. DS got one for xmas that looks like a basketball. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Gertie-Small-World-Toys/dp/B0006IRSD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1262545936&sr=8-1

It does say for ages 3+, though. Maybe because it has vinyl, like pp mentioned?

brittone2
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
There are also Gertie balls. DS got one for xmas that looks like a basketball. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Gertie-Small-World-Toys/dp/B0006IRSD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1262545936&sr=8-1

It does say for ages 3+, though. Maybe because it has vinyl, like pp mentioned?

The gertie plug could be a choking hazard (especially because the flat portion at the top (kinda like a nail head) could be nibbled on and used to pull out the plug), and I also think it might be possible to actually bite through the Gertie because of the texture, kwim? It isn't super firm/hard and I think it might be possible for a kid to kinda rip the material it is made out of and maybe choke on it.

Not sure if the basketball has the same style plug as other gerties, but I know the ones we've had have that nailhead shaped plug.

KarenLud
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts. I like those taggie balls...might get those!