PDA

View Full Version : Cane Sugar soda

Melaine
01-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm so excited to have found Pepsi-Throwback and Mt. Dew Throwback are back on the shelves. I found them at Target for $3 a 12 pack (which seemed like a good deal). These have sugar rather than HFCS, and taste so much better. They did a trial run awhile ago (summer?) and seem to be doing another seasonal production.
EVEN better I just read that Dr. Pepper is coming out with a Heritage version also made with cane sugar and people on SDs are reporting it at Targets now too.
http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/coming-soon-heritage-dr-pepper-with-sugar/
http://www.bevreview.com/2009/02/09/pepsi-throwback-mountain-dew-throwback/

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, but I think lots of people would like to know about this being available.

maydaymommy
01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
We're also soon approaching Passover season, when Coke products have a special run without corn syrup. Yum!

MmeSunny
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I just saw that Dr. Pepper at Target. The packaging is very cute and retro.

kijip
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
We get cane sugar Coke from Amazon Fresh and I have seen it at Costco too. $19-20 for 24 bottles. It was a hit at our holiday party in December. It is bottled in Mexico.

1964pandora
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
If you live near a market that caters to Hispanics, they probably have Coke made with cane sugar. Fortunately, we have one nearby so I can get that my Coke there. It tastes so much better.

Claki
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM
We saw the Pepsi Throwback and Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew at Target last week and I was thrilled. We stocked up. Last spring I was avoiding sugar and pop so I didn't get any when the Pepsi and Mt. Dew were released.

DebbieJ
01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
If you live near a market that caters to Hispanics, they probably have Coke made with cane sugar. Fortunately, we have one nearby so I can get that my Coke there. It tastes so much better.

:yeahthat: That's where we get it.

shawnandangel
01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Holy wow! Thank you so much for sharing this Melaine! I'm going to Target tomorrow for some Pepsi!

jenandahalf
01-04-2010, 01:41 AM
I saw something about Sprite Green which is supposed to be 'naturally sweetened' too, not sure if it's just sugar and not HFCS or something else.

crl
01-04-2010, 02:11 AM

Yum, Mexican coke. DH said he saw something about Pepsi doing this and apparently his souce (I have no idea what that is) said it is because cane sugar is now cheaper than corn sources.

Catherine

Nooknookmom
01-04-2010, 03:39 AM
:yeahthat: That's where we get it.

Ditto! The first time DD1 tasted it, she thought something was wrong with it. She was so used to the corn syrup version. I had to convince her that it was OK, lol.

Nooknookmom
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
We get cane sugar Coke from Amazon Fresh and I have seen it at Costco too. $19-20 for 24 bottles. It was a hit at our holiday party in December. It is bottled in Mexico.

Just had to say that I love your siggie - the part about the warm soft 1 year old snuggled against your chest. Nothin' like it!!!!!!

kijip
01-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Yum, Mexican coke. DH said he saw something about Pepsi doing this and apparently his souce (I have no idea what that is) said it is because cane sugar is now cheaper than corn sources.

Catherine

I think it is because there is a demand for it. AFAIK, Corn syrup remains way cheaper than cane sugar, even with the increase in corn prices due to ethanol production. Corn is heavily subsidized and sugar prices heavily protected. I have noted however a number of products that switched to HFCS have switched back (and sometimes prominently labeled themselves HFCS free)- Juice Squeezes, Oroweat bread, Bonne maman jams, a couple of yogurt brands etc