PDA

View Full Version : Child at Daycare has Lice

mommylamb
01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I just got an email from the mother of one of the kids in DS's daycare saying that her son has nits. DS has been out of daycare for the last week and a half, so I know no lice here-- at least yet. The other mother has alerted the daycare, so they're doing cleaning now (I assume). It's a home daycare with just 8 kids.

DH has the day off from work tomorrow, going back on Tuesday after our long break, but I'm back at work tomorrow. DH does not want to keep DS home with him because he has errands to run and wants some alone time (I can't blame him). Do you think we should keep DS out of school tomorrow?

I've never had lice and I must admit, this is one of the things that totally freaks me out.

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
It's gone through ds1's class a few times in the past 2 years and so far we have a voided it (*knock on a huge amount of wood!!!!*). I have heard that if you put hair care products like mousse or hairspray in there that that offers protection since lice don't like it.

Otherwise, no sharing hats, pillows...and I would send him.

Beth

tnrnchick74
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I would also get some tea tree oil and add some to normal shampoo. It will prevent nits from "sticking" as well as kill any lice. If daycare has done the cleaning already, and the child has been treated, I wouldn't keep your child home.

jayali
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
If I had the option then I wouldn't send him. I am completely freaked out by these types of things and I know that every time is goes through DS school I am a basket case. We have avoided it a number of times as well. I heard that Tea Tree Oil is a deterrent and also heard the same as pp about hair products. Poor Matthew goes to school looking like a total grease head whenever there is an outbreak of lice. I have very thick and curly hair so if I get them the only way to get rid of them would be to shave my head! I can completely understand your husband's position, but would still try to get him to keep him home.

good luck!

Tondi G
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree with the tea tree oil recommendation. Get some tonight and put a few drops in his shampoo before he goes back to school!

http://www.hairfairies.com/products/nit-zapping-prevention-oil/

tnrnchick74
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I have very thick and curly hair so if I get them the only way to get rid of them would be to shave my head!

Actually, shaving your head won't do anything to get rid of lice - they like to "attach" close to the scalp. (sorry, I was a school nurse for awhile). The best thing you can do if it happens - use tea tree oil and vegetable oil; coat the hair & cover for 12 hrs; then comb using a lice comb. And teach your kids to not share hats, jackets, combs, brushes, hair clips, etc. It won't keep every case from occurring, but will help.

kozachka
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
There are worse things than lice that your child can pick up at a daycare. I would not keep my child at home just because another child who goes to the same daycare and who you have not seen for a week has lice. And kudos to the mom for alerting everybody and not trying to cover it up.

mommylamb
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
There are worse things than lice that your child can pick up at a daycare. I would not keep my child at home just because another child who goes to the same daycare and who you have not seen for a week has lice. And kudos to the mom for alerting everybody and not trying to cover it up.

Oh, absolutely. She did the right thing by telling everyone. We all have good relationships with each other, so whenever one of the kids gets sick, the mom in question sends out an email to all the other moms. We're very lucky that way. I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was something wrong with the child or the mother. They're great people. I just don't want DS to get lice.

mommylamb
01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
So, I did bring DS to daycare today. The other little boy with the nits was there. The mom said they started the treatment on Saturday when they first found them. Is that enough time for it to work? Should she have kept him out of school today?

luza
01-04-2010, 10:31 AM
How long the lice is "contagious" depends on whether they used something that kills eggs and live lice, or just the live ones. If it only kills the live ones then there will be a possibility of the lice spreading when the nits hatch.
DD has had lice a couple of times, and even though it isn't a lot of fun, it is manageable.

HIU8
01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Lice went around daycare over the summer. I did not keep DS out. DS has exceptionally thick hair and I did get it buzzed so that if he did get it I could actually find the nits (he had a lot of hair prior to it). I went over with him about not sharing hats etc... I also did not wash his hair for several days (as I was told that lice like clean hair better than dirty--oil in hair (hence the tea oil suggestion I guess). DS remained lice free.